Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a Saltwater Fly Fishing magazine and there was an ad describing using an Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor reel as a bonefish reel. I got to think that if it would work as a bonefish reel it would probably work as a Spey reel too.

Would a Battenkill Mid Arbor V fit a Airflo Delta 6/7 line and enough backing to be a useful Spey reel? According to the Orvis website the V will take a WF10F line and 125 yards of backing. Will this work? (I'm also considering using the reel on an 8 wt single handed rod for some light saltwater fishing.)

·
Banned
974 Posts
Works, but not well.....

Looking at Orvis' line recommendation it would work but not well even with 20 # unless you are assured of small fish that will not run. I would be nervous with only 100. See my similar post asking about Ross' BG-6's capacity.

David Dornblaser

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang! I was hoping it would. I like Orvis stuff and the price is pretty good. There is an Orvis shop locally so it would be easy to pick one up.

I guess the Battenkill Barstock V would work but then you are in the same price range as the Tioga and I know the Tioga 10 will work. (The Tiaoga is probably more appropriate...)

I guess I should stop being so indecisive (cheap?) and pick a reel. :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts