Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just continuing to play with crest wings. CS6 3/0 hook.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Good stuff Matt.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Wow - what a stunner. Well dressed. I could argue about the originality or substitutions and/or applications depending on how one looks at it - but I won't.

Nice fly Matt. I just received three of those hooks - along with some CS10 and other 2/0s. Nice hooks.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow - what a stunner. Well dressed. I could argue about the originality or substitutions and/or applications depending on how one looks at it - but I won't.

Nice fly Matt. I just received three of those hooks - along with some CS10 and other 2/0s. Nice hooks.
I would really like to know if this I close to an already established pattern, it was all from the head, so I am very curious what likeminded person created and when! Please elaborate!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The only thing I'd like to see different is a shorter tag and some taper in the body BUT those are two things I struggle most with, all said this thing looks great! I haven't even considered stacking toppings yet, very intimidating!
-josh

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only thing I'd like to see different is a shorter tag and some taper in the body BUT those are two things I struggle most with, all said this thing looks great! I haven't even considered stacking toppings yet, very intimidating!
-josh
Through many observations and suggestions I had always thought that the tag was to basically start in line with the barb end and stop and point end... Is that not correct?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'm probably not the one to speak on this but my understanding is that you are correct, generally. Some hooks tend to have a longer spear and TO MY EYE they require a shorter tag. I have some old Mustafa limericks that would be about half the damn fly if I stuck to that... What I said above is just a preference thing and I believe you are correct with the point to barb thing, with some irons I will usually start the tip at the root of the barb to shorten it up.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I would really like to know if this I close to an already established pattern, it was all from the head, so I am very curious what likeminded person created and when! Please elaborate!
Sure, and it is. The topping-wings have been done already. A quick search lead right to an old pattern posted in Colin's site dressed very similar to this. Nearly identical materials and application - only in different colors. Ive been there - dressed a fly right from the top of my head and come to find something already done too similar for me to call an original. But that is just me. Why do you feel you have an original pattern here?

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure. The topping-wings have been done already. A quick search lead right to an old pattern posted in Colin's site dressed very similar to this. Nearly identical materials and application - only in different colors. Ive been there - dressed a fly right form the top of my head and come to find something already done too similar for me to call an original. But that is just me. Why do you feel you have an original pattern here?
simply because there was 0 influence from other plates or flies, that's it. but apparently that is not enough to satisfy the requirements of an original pattern. its not a big deal...

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I like it Matt, another cool fly. I think the size of the cheek is a bit overpowering, but that's just a personal thought. Nice one buddy !

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm probably not the one to speak on this but my understanding is that you are correct, generally. Some hooks tend to have a longer spear and TO MY EYE they require a shorter tag. I have some old Mustafa limericks that would be about half the damn fly if I stuck to that... What I said above is just a preference thing and I believe you are correct with the point to barb thing, with some irons I will usually start the tip at the root of the barb to shorten it up.
I here you on the length of some hooks, for sure! I think you are right now that I look at it, and possibly just to move the oval tinsel one to two wraps forward would have made the difference. Thanks bud!

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
That style of wing has some nice implications. I would think maybe 3 toppings under a strip wing would look sexy. or put an underwing in there with the toppings over all. To me this fly is missing an element, just begging for something. And I agree the cheek is a touch large, again, try to find a more full feather to fit the overall fly size rather than cutting the tip of the feather off to fit.

You have some real nice skills, can't wait to see where it goes.

·
Knee Deep
1,249 Posts
I don't know about original, or for that matter, much about topping flies. I do know that I like the smooth silk work, even ribbing, and nicely shaped herl!:smokin: There are few little bugs that others touch upon, so no need for me to go further. Keep up the good work and keep tying what you enjoy!

Tony

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can't quite tell if you have used more than one color of topping here or if that is just the natural highlights of the dye job but looking at this the first thing that came to mind would be what sort of effect would you get say using three different topping colors. For example red, orange and yellow would give sort of flame effect. Normally I might just attempt to tie something up like that and post it but I am way to busy to hit the vise and didn't want the thought lost.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know about original, or for that matter, much about topping flies. I do know that I like the smooth silk work, even ribbing, and nicely shaped herl!:smokin: There are few little bugs that others touch upon, so no need for me to go further. Keep up the good work and keep tying what you enjoy!

Tony
Tony,

If you are curious how I work my floss check out my blurb on burnished floss, its my take on it, its more of a roll effect but burnishing is accomplished through the process

http://www.feathersandhooks.com/tips-and-tricks/burnishing-floss/

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't quite tell if you have used more than one color of topping here or if that is just the natural highlights of the dye job but looking at this the first thing that came to mind would be what sort of effect would you get say using three different topping colors. For example red, orange and yellow would give sort of flame effect. Normally I might just attempt to tie something up like that and post it but I am way to busy to hit the vise and didn't want the thought lost.
Its all the same color toppings, could be a variation in the job or the angle.of the lighting, you know how that goes... Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts