Spey Pages banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I are considering moving to Southern Oregon and wondering what the weather is like out there. Here in the Midwest we have a lot of severe weather. We're tired of the constant threat of tornados, the severe thunder storms, some with 70+ mph inline winds, and some with baseball size hail. It seems like we're under the gun almost every week, and the winters here have lots of heavy snow and below zero temperatures. We hear Oregon has a much milder weather climate. So can anyone tell us what kind of weather to expect if we were to move to Southern Oregon. We know the fishing is excellent.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Dang, man, almost anywhere would be better than what you describe :) I'm sure someone who lives closer to southern Oregon will chime in with the full skinny, but I think it's safe to say that Oregon generally is substantially more moderate than the Midwest. You would find southern Oregon a very welcome change, I'm sure.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David1123

We're thinking about relocating to Roseburg, Oregon. We here its a great place to live. We here it never snows, and no severe weather.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
We're thinking about relocating to Roseburg, Oregon. We here its a great place to live. We here it never snows, and no severe weather.
At least 3 major storms with snow reported (google) affecting S. Oregon between Nov 2013 & Nov 2014 :(

·
Registered
158 Posts
First the good news.
1. Oregon is a very pretty state. Lots of mountains along the coast and everything is green all the time.
2. Fishing is definitely better than the Midwest.

Now the bad news. It rains. Well sort of rains. ALL THE FREAKING TIME. I lived in Portland for a year and while it was a very nice city as far as bit cities go I couldn't stand the constant gray dreary skies.

But they don't have the severe weather threats at all like the Midwest.

Oh and one last thing. Oregon has steelhead. :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Roseburg

Very green, beautiful rolling hills till summer when the grasses turn brown. Lots of great fishing in the area and it is a growing town. I would say a lot of folks are retiring down there from what I can tell. It's come a long way from being the big city of the timber industry.

Very temperate conditions but yes, a lot of rain to be had but it clears fast.

DH

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes to everything above, but getting more and more crowded by the day and one of the most expensive states for retired folks to live. Please be willing to be active community members, support public schools, help ride herd on the ODFW and USFS, volunteer, etc.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Oh one last key point. Oregon is a quite a bit left of center. Nothing like a good make jobs program so you can't even pump your own gas...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
158 Posts
David there are a lot of websites out there that compare the cost of living in various states. Make sure you look into those. Cant really just ask about property taxes as that is only part of the equation. Need to really look at the whole tax picture.

For instance look at this website. Oregon, from a tax perspective looks pretty good. But then when its adjusted for cost of living not so good.

Also if you are retired look at their rules for retired folks. Some states treat us differently. For instance MS does not charge income tax on retirees pension or annuity monies!

Good luck,

Steve

http://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst-states-to-be-a-taxpayer/2416/

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oregon alternative

If you have second thoughts about Southern Oregon, you might consider Southwest Idaho. Rarely snows and if it does, only stays on the ground for a day or 2. Good fishing. Politically, the Idaho definition of Gun Control is "Ones ability to hold the muzzle steady." And, it is the only state that Clinton came in 3rd, twice!

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
I don't care about the Clinton's either. Being retired and all, I'm a Sander's Man!
Amen brother, AMEN!

I've known Bernie a long time, he is the real McCoy

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Live a tad north of Medford. "White City."

Summer's are HOT! Average will/can be 85 to 95 during the summer. Rogue River water temp will still be in the 50's so 'wet wade.' Winter's are mild, Average rain fall is below 20 inches, 'snow' is a 'look at that event.':eek: Mountain's around can get a total dump, but here in the Valley we have laws that forbid that kind of stuff.

A good place to live? Stores, including Walmart, address you by name. 'Good to see you back Mr. Evans.'

A good place to live? Sit by the river and sip your cup of coffee. Dog curled up at your feet, I might even take the rod off the top of the Jeep and fish. Will consider as I finish my coffee. Silly as it sounds the 7-11 here in White City has the best coffee going for .99 a cup.

Safe place to live? Some places may be questionable, but in the newer neighborhood's the 'crime rate' is zero. Unless I remember I don't even bother to lock my front door or car; no reason. Had to think about that, actually I can't remember the last time I locked my front door. Jeep has a 'beep-beep' button so I'll do that.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Being from the upper midwest myself I understand wanting to get out. I did it 20 years ago and never looked back. Oregon is full of extremes and micro climates. It is also kind of isolated. If you like small city living Roseburg is nice, and like the rest of Oregon it's an hour or more from anything else. It rains a lot, but not as much as the coast or Portland, however it is fairly mild and only snows a couple times a year and usually melts right away. Some find the constant clouds for 6 or 7 months to be depressing, I know I did, but some people love it. Liquid sunshine they call it. Summers are hot and dry with the endless blue days we usually have from june till october. Fishing is good a fair amount of the time, great on occasion, but the learning process can be long and hard as rivers like the N Umpqua can be about as difficult a river to fish as any you'll find anywhere.

·
Registered
158 Posts
WA, OR, and CA are overloaded with left wing liberals. Sanders? Might as well vote for Lenin or Trotsky!!
Yup. He is definitely one of the "spread the wealth" types. And not to turn this into a political thread but I have yet to have one single lefty show me where in the Constitution is says anything remotely along the lines of that.

·
JD
3,612 Posts
The whole west coast is blue, disgusting haven for left wing nuts. Very discouraging if you're of the other persuasion. Tornado's, hail, extreme snow, not a problem. However lots of mountains are volcanic in nature. May be dormant for eons, but you never know. :whoa: Heavy rains can trigger landslides becuase of poor logging practices in the past. The bigger cities are nice, if that's your thing. Pesonally, after living all my life in big cities, I gave it up for a less stressful life style. Sacrifices & trade offs to be sure. Idaho seems to be more conservative. Their roadside warnings kind of say it all, Game crossing. :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Take your idiot politics and shove them up your ass.

Seriously, no one's soliciting your political opinion but some of you are so rabid you just can't help yourselves.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.