Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone - This thread sort of evolved from a post of mine in the fly tying section, "wht flies to use in the salmon river ID".
What would be a good destination for march/april closer to the nw coast. I'm in Jackson WY and don't see many major roads heading west. So i am looking for a semi-direct route for where ever my destination is. Poking around the web, I saw the umpequa river which looked like the season may be timed right. Looked like a nightmare to drive to though.
Thank you everyone for the advice i got last year, I had some fun trips to The south fork of the snake for trout and the SR in challis for steel. After getting a taste of catching fresher fish this past fall (great lakes), i would like to try for some in the NW coast.
Any trip ideas from wy are welcomed. Anyone from this area or eastern ID who wants to pair up and save some gas for a trip are also welcomed to chime in.

Jay

·
Registered
646 Posts
Check out the Skagit and Sauk for the time period you mentioned. April especially if the WDFG allows the catch and release season. Beautiful rivers with opportunities for large natives.
Chris

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks flgator

I will look into thoses areas some. It's been so wintery here that fishing seems far away.

Jay

·
Registered
646 Posts
Jay,
One other recommendation would be to hire a guide for at least a day or two of your trip. There are several that come to mind including Jack Cook (irishangler.com), Mike Kinney (mikekinney.com), John Farrar (nwflyfishing.com) and Ed Ward (riveraddict here on this form). I'm sure there are others that I've left out but the above all have great reputations and will insure you have a quality day on the water. They fill up quickly because the time you're coming is prime.
Take care,
Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts