Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not looking for any specific spots but just a start in the right direction. Headed out to Redmond to meet a buddy who moved there just a few months ago from the Midwest like myself. We're gonna jump in his pickup and camp and fish for a week. He's thinking the deschutes I'm thinking the N.U. but I've never fished either of them. Any suggestions? Flying sort of light so I'm just brining my 7126 tcx and a 5 wt single hander. Flies? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to p.m. Me. Thanks for any suggestions!
Ian

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Coin flip at this time of the year for Oregon Rivers.

For fish ... the Deschutes? Doubt it. For total beauty of the experience the North Fork of the Umpqua.

For either, this is a tween season and the Deschutes would be last on my 'go fish list.' Game On would be the low end of any of the rivers flowing directly into Salt. :smokin:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Bring a bigger stick

the end of October should have a king salmon or two on the chetco, right on the coast and not too far above the salt.

·
Registered
848 Posts
There are still plenty of steelhead available on the Deschutes in the Maupin area. From town, you can drive upstream several miles, and downstream about 20 miles. There are pullouts at most of the runs.
The fishing pressure is down, which is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
RL,

There will be fish in the Deschutes and John Day this time of year ... No worries ...

... I generally begin Summer Steelheading the NUmp in mid Oct after the first rains (which we are now having) and have had some great days above Steamboat, and like Stumpy says: You'll have both rivers pretty much to yourself on most runs.

Mike

The Chetco does have lots of Fall Chinook moving into the system right now ...

... But be aware that there are new regs in place that all fly fishers will be required to use indicators (gear guys will require bobbers) above tide water, so full sink shooting head swing fishing for them on the normal haunts will not be allowed.

F&G is attempting to cut down on low water pool snagging of these game fish <> http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/docs/2014_Chinook_Fisheries.pdf

Coho fishing in the Rogue Bay has been crazy good at times, and the fish have been very large ... Have had a few great days this year !!!

Meiz

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'll shoot you a pm tomorrow but I just moved to Redmond this summer too and have been doing some exploring lately, I don't have the best details but do know of some current events 😁

·
Registered
48 Posts
Can't say much about the fishing on the N.Umqua lately as I haven't had the time to wet acline. But, I can say I'm enjoying the post-work day in Roseburg, in the '70's and sunny. BUT...the forecast starting Mon. night is for 100% rain for the next couple of days, then showers mid-week, and more rain thru Friday. So, you may just have perfect, receding conditions on the NUmp at about that time. Just bring a raincoat!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Thanks Bob, I had no idea!

RL,

There will be fish in the Deschutes and John Day this time of year ... No worries ...

... I generally begin Summer Steelheading the NUmp in mid Oct after the first rains (which we are now having) and have had some great days above Steamboat, and like Stumpy says: You'll have both rivers pretty much to yourself on most runs.

Mike

... But be aware that there are new regs in place that all fly fishers will be required to use indicators (gear guys will require bobbers) above tide water, so full sink shooting head swing fishing for them on the normal haunts will not be allowed.

F&G is attempting to cut down on low water pool snagging of these game fish <> http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/docs/2014_Chinook_Fisheries.pdf

Coho fishing in the Rogue Bay has been crazy good at times, and the fish have been very large ... Have had a few great days this year !!!

Meiz
Been a year since I've fished the Chetco and what I remember has little to do with today's regulations. In Jeep, drive over to the coast and 'cast.' Deeply out of regulations! :saeek:

fae

·
Registered
48 Posts
More on the upcoming weather for the Umpqua...looks like Wednesday will be the "driest" day for a while, with rain forecast to at least Tuesday, a week from now! :):)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

Meiz
Didn't know that. That really sucks, though I can certainly understand why they might feel the need to make some regulation change there. Don't know the situation on the Chetco, but I would hate to see salmon being snagged while congested into low water pools. I noticed that they also had a 36" max distance from bobber/indicator to hook, which would seem pretty shallow for most chinook fishing as far as I know.

Hopefully some better alternatives could be thought up, and hopefully this will not become a common solution in other streams as well.
JB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts