Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm considering a week of fishing in NW Oregon on the coast the third week of March. Nestucca, Wilson, Trask, etc. I don't know these rivers at all. I'm sure they're low and clear like most everywhere and are in need of some rain. I'm leaning toward the Wilson, because I believe it has the best on-foot access.

Can anyone give me any general information about which rivers will fish better, have better walk and have wade access?

As usual I'll put the disclaimer out. I'm not looking for specifics, but generalities.

thanks in advance for your help!

·
JD
3,612 Posts
Regulatioins

My first suggestion would be to check the regs. It seems like each & every river in Oregon has it's own set of regs, pertaining to closed seasons, gear restrictions, etc. :Eyecrazy:

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like the North Coast will be getting a little shot of rain around the 11th. Will this raise the rivers to decent fishable levels and get the fish moving? I'm looking at levels for the Nehalem and Wilson and they look really really low.
thanks!

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
From what I've seen/heard, this next little storm shouldn't raise water levels too much, and if there's any turbidity, it should clean out fairly quickly. We've had a long dry spell, so the soils along the rivers are dry, and will absorb quite a bit before bleeding off into the river.

It wouldn't put me off the trip! Go for it, and have a great time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have only spent a few days checking out those rivers , but personally think there is a bit more walk in access on the nahalem then on the Wilson .

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
What BB says.

From what I've seen/heard, this next little storm shouldn't raise water levels too much, and if there's any turbidity, it should clean out fairly quickly. We've had a long dry spell, so the soils along the rivers are dry, and will absorb quite a bit before bleeding off into the river.

It wouldn't put me off the trip! Go for it, and have a great time.
1606 here just north of Medford and a tick under 70 degrees. As far as fishing the small coastal streams most are history vis a vis winter Steelhead. Very top end of the Rogue or very bottom. Another story.

BB, we're to get some rain!! I'm looking at a bright blue sky and not a cloud to be seen. That said, I will go roll up the windows in the Jeep. Water flow wise in Oregon, click on the dot: http://waterwatch.usgs.gov/?m=real&r=or

fae

1 - 7 of 7 Posts