Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided as a retirement gift to myself and to clear my mind, I am going on a walkabout. Not too sure where I will end up but the Sandy is haunting me. It is odd to think I will no longer have a boss, with the exception of my wife. So for the trip I need to reload the box just a bit. Sticking with the feather wing theme, here is a must have color combo. In my last post, First Light Feather Wing variation, I mentioned the use of a hair dryer to set a bend in the hackle tips. I have used this technique for many years, but never really wanted to admit it. For some reason it feels like cheating, but I am over it now. Making do is part of the new wave of tying. Though not impossible, it is getting more difficult to find quality tying materials. Items that were a dime a dozen 10 to 20 years ago, now require an extensive search - or even worse - are no longer on the market. I still prefer tying with materials you don’t need to manipulate, like a perfect crest with just the right shape, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Hope this helps and thanks for looking.
Feather Wing

Hook: 3/0
Tip: Silver Oval Tinsel
Tag: Orange Silk Floss
Tail: G. P. Tippet
Rib: Pearl Mylar tinsel
Body: Shrimp Pink, Pink, and Orange dubbing
Collar: Orange schlappen with a few turns of shrimp pink Guinea
Wing: Two shrimp pink hackle tips enveloped by two dyed orange grizzly hackle tips.

You know the drill,

Start the tying thread at the bend of the hook. Secure in a length of oval tinsel. Wrap the tying thread down the bend, trapping the tinsel as you go. Stop wrapping when the tying thread hangs in line with the midpoint, between the point of the hook and the barb. Take three turns with the tinsel and secure. Wrap the tying thread back to the start. Make sure your thread work is consistent; it will be the underbody for the floss. Secure in a length of floss and wrap it to the tip and back to the tie in point. Prepare the tippet for the tail and secure.

Secure in a length of Mylar for the rib and build a dubbing loop with the tying thread. Load the loop with three equal parts of dubbing and give it a spin. Wrap the tying thread to the eye of the hook and secure with a half hitch. Start the orange tying thread at the eye of the hook.

Bring the dubbing forward followed by five open wraps with the Mylar. I use a bodkin to separate the dubbing as it transitions from color to color.

Secure in a schlappen hackle and wrap as a collar. Follow the schlappen with a few turn of guinea.

Select four hackle tips, two from each side of the neck. The two shrimp pink hackles came from a bag of strung saddle hackle. The two grizzly hackles came from a neck. Gauge the hackles to length and strip the excess from the stems. With all four hackle tips pinched together in your right hand, insert the hackle stems through the eye of the hook. Take a few firm securing wraps with the tying thread. With the wing firmly secured to the hook check your work.

With the wing firmly secured, set a bend in the stems with a hair dryer. I use the high/hot setting.

You can also set the bend before setting the wing. I use hackle pliers to hold the wing while blowing the cure into the stems. These feathers where perfectly straight before adding the heat.

Here is a shot of the finished fly.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Marty:

Why don't you make the Adirondacks in upstate NY one of your walkabout destinations ? I'm retiring this coming January. We could gab for days

Another terrific pattern

dave

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
Are these fishing flies?

First of all, congratulations on your retirement! It's great on the outside, ain't it?

That's a great looking bug you dressed to take along on your sojourn! Best of luck!

Just a thought - if these are fishing flies, why not skip the hair dryer? Flies seldom come back WITHOUT laid-back wings, regardless of type. In fact, after sitting on tube flies, scrunching up flies in a baggy, etc, all I have to do to bring them back into shape is fish them for a while. Just sayin'... ;)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Great fly and thanks for the how to with the hair dryer. Now I have to go buy a hair dryer!!

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a thought - if these are fishing flies, why not skip the hair dryer? Flies seldom come back WITHOUT laid-back wings, regardless of type. In fact, after sitting on tube flies, scrunching up flies in a baggy, etc, all I have to do to bring them back into shape is fish them for a while. Just sayin'... ;)
It’s all about the presentation. You could very easily fish the fly with the wing standing upright. Fishing the fly would put a perfect bend in the stem. I really like the look of a fished fly, especially one ratted up by the teeth of a sea run. and yes the are fishing flies.

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Amazing! Could this be so simple..? I have to give this a try for sure!

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beauty ....... no walkabout would be complete without time in Idaho
For sure, but only as long as it takes to get from the Utah/Idaho state line to the Idaho/Oregon state line. I will be back for the East Idaho Fly Tying Expo, April 17th and 18th. I will be tying all day Friday and teaching a class on Saturday.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Now, I'D buy a hairdryer for that!!!!
Great shots - very helpful tip Marty.

Hairdryer - another useful tool for the fly dresser. I borrow my wife's to dry fathers quickly after dying and it helps with bringing damaged slips in a married wing back to natural shape same way steaming does.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
The world will be full of confused hairstylists as balding fishermen come in to the salons to purchase hair dryers now ;)

Great fly and SBS, as always Marty. I get a good feeling when I hear people talk about life after retirement. I sure plan on hitting that not of ground running.

Waste no time. Get out there and enjoy!

Scott.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts