Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Solid waste of money IMO. No need for such a thing at all. Also, hardened tool steel was never intended to be clamped in our fly tying vises. I would steer clear

·
Registered
731 Posts
The music on the shank chuck tool video over at POST tho, had me giggling all the way through. LOL!

Anyways, just get you a Stonfo Transformer vice, it does it all - well, including holding shanks in either of the jaws or even the mandrel head.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for the responses guys. Like others have said, I haven’t had too many issues with shanks in my vise...every once in awhile I’ll have a frustrating mishap but mostly due to my own laziness. I thought the concept was kind of cool and thought about giving it a shot. Not sure I want to throw $50 away though lol.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have one and use it all the time. Works just fine. I would suggest pulling it apart when you get it and adding some lube to the inner threads so it holds tight and releases smooth. The only drawback is in order to get a good hold you will lose about 5-10 mm of your shank.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have one and it works as intended, you do still have to insert a far amount of the shank to insure enough bite as mentioned above. I use mine on my bargain bin cabela's vice with out any issues. If it's worth 50$.... I don't know especially if you have vice that already does a decent job at holding shanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So I was hangin with a buddy the other day and he does something I thought was cool and could be pertinent to this convo.

He uses a HMH tube fly adapter. He just takes the needle out and mounts the shank straight to that. Really great hold and doesn't sacrifice too much of your shank. Still would cost a bit but a great tool for sure. And it does double duty if you tie tubes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts