Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw these in a local shop after reading about them on the OPST website. Anyone have any experience with these lines yet? I've been using slickshooter for a long time - any compelling reason to change to these? Thanks for your insights.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I just recieved mine in 25lb, very thin, slick shooting line, no doubt it will shoot well, any coiling (which is minimal) simply straightens out with a light stretch.
My only concern is it will be to easy to shoot and may overshoot a target hahaha
I bought this for a 5wt switch rod set up, should do the job nicely.
If you have tried other monos and found them a bit coily then this line will be a pleasant surprise, handles like a fine grade japanese mono ie top quality.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just recieved mine in 25lb, very thin, slick shooting line, no doubt it will shoot well, any coiling (which is minimal) simply straightens out with a light stretch.
My only concern is it will be to easy to shoot and may overshoot a target hahaha
I bought this for a 5wt switch rod set up, should do the job nicely.
If you have tried other monos and found them a bit coily then this line will be a pleasant surprise, handles like a fine grade japanese mono ie top quality.
How stretchy is it? If you spool out 30 meters or so and pin it to a hook how much give? Compared to other monos, P-Line, Rio ?

Thanks!

-Tony

·
Ethie24
147 Posts
Lazar Line

Hey if you re referring to the Lazar, I have some and used it a few times now. Let me start with, THIS STUFF JACKS!!! I was never a fan of mono but this stuff is fantastic. No stretch in the line and makes fantastic knots for tying in a loop since it doesn't come with a prefab loop. Right off the get go I tore some off the spool and it sat high in the water. I find myself not forming loops in my hand now for the cast I just let it all sit there. I found the 30lb a little thin so run it with lighter heads 425 skagit and 390 scandi. I recently bought a 50lb to accommodate my heavier heads and can't wait to try it!!!

Hope this helps but this stuff is awesome, definitely worth trying out.

Cheers boys!!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I couldnt tell u an exact % of stretch, controlled is prob the best way to describe it, by that I mean its not like a bungy but its not stretchless

·
Registered
175 Posts
How are you guys attaching the head to this line? I've tried mono in the past but never liked the loop I created. Everything I've tried seems to hang up on the guides.
A FeatherCraft catalog just showed up today with the line for sale and the price is tempting but I need to solve the head to running line loop issue.

Thanks,
Quinn

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
How are you guys attaching the head to this line? I've tried mono in the past but never liked the loop I created. Everything I've tried seems to hang up on the guides.
A FeatherCraft catalog just showed up today with the line for sale and the price is tempting but I need to solve the head to running line loop issue.

Thanks,
Quinn
when ive used mono I just tie a loop knot (personal preference there) and then goop some aquaseal around it to make it smooth, never had ANY hang up issues after coating the knot. Hope that helps

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I just do a triple surgeons and really tighten it down - typically have no troubles with it hanging in the guides but then when I am casting, this knot is outside the tiptop anyway so not an issue and when a fish is pulling hard it keeps that loop tight and it goes in and out of the guides with no issues (or so I have been told:) - I think I remember a fish once!!)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got some :)

Finally broke down and bought a 35lb'er - wow is all I can say - noticeable immediate improvement over slickshooter, at least, in all respects. It handles beautifully and really flies.

The only drawback for me, if I can call it that, is it is so thin that it burned a little when stripping it in - that is easily manageable, but I will be mindful of that issue on the first fish I get using this stuff.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I thought the stuff compared very similarly to GL Shooter. It floats about the same, feels the same, same stretch and so on..costs about the same but heres the kicker, it is available.

I used 35 lb for beach fishing my single (chinook, yeah I know), so I'm looking for certain characteristics that really aren't an issue when using this stuff in moving water. Coiling is a big deal when using a stripping basket. This stuff is only so so. It has more memory than I like for a line that is going to live in a stripping basket. For running water this stuff is great. My quest for a high floating, zero memory shooting line continues ( strickly talking about using this stuff with a single, from the beach with a stripping basket) For moving water applications its great.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,550 Posts
Pondering picking some up but waffling between the 35 and 50 pound. How did the 35 compare to 30 pound Ridge running line?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Basically, the 35lb lazar line (.0185 inches) is less than half the diameter of the 30lb ridge (.040 inches), and about half the diameter of 20lb ridge ((.036 inches) if I did the math right. Bear in mind that the published lazar diameters are in mm, while most of the rest of the running lines are published in inches, so a little math is involved if you want direct comparison of diameters. I used ridges before switching to slickshooter - I like the lazar way better than either, but YMMV.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I bought some from OPST. Really like it so far. I'd go so far.to say its as good or better than anything out there. But wish the first 10-15 feet was coated like the Rio line.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I would not say it is tangle free but it is the best mono running line I have ever used. Very limp and coil free - I have gotten used to pinching the running line on top of the grip with my thumb of my right hand and rarely have the line slip during a cast so do not mind the thin diameter.

I have yet to have a bad tangle - once I do it will be interesting to see if it holds the kink as once that happens things can go downhill

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.