Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in purusing this site I found that some folks like the Cortland 200D reel. I think they are out of production, but I'm seeing some really good deals on the 140D. Does anyone have any strong opinons on whether this would be a reasonable reel choice for a Skagit 450 or 550 rio line? In terms of capacity it seems just fine, but I haven't seen one of them in person. Also, is this the kind of reel that can be used to fish, or is it more in line with a good "casting practice" reel?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,105 Posts
In my opinion the Magnum 140d as well as the 200d were excellent steelhead reels. It is to bad they stopped making them:mad:

·
Registered
19 Posts
200d

bought 2 of them years ago with spare spools when the system 2 only made upto the 10/11 that would not take the 40yd SA lines with a good amount of backing, they were on sale over here this winter with 50% off for £40.00p or there abouts, under the leeda or bfr label try "fawcettsonline" to see if they still got some left, just have to be thoughtfull about the disc drag and slacken it off when not in use.size is same amount of backing as my Gem11/12 with a 8/9 xlt.
Len

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
The 140D has about the same capacity as a 1498/1598 Medalist, and should be quite adequate in capacity for short belly spey lines. I've used one slightly, and 200D's extensively. They're rugged and attractive. My only complaint against the series is that the drag doesn't seem impressive, even at maximum setting. The 200D weighs just about 1/2 oz. more than the 140D, and that gives a lot more capacity. For an inexpensive reel with a strong drag that falls between the two in capacity, take a close look at the Okuma Sierra S10/11.

·
Registered
445 Posts
............Bob,the 200D was about $130 new,you can pick them up used pretty reasonably....sometimes $20 or $30. Had pretty good capacity,I had a 8/9 Air Flo Traditional on mine,don't remember how much backing,but I used it succesfully on kings.

·
Registered
215 Posts
MJC said:
In my opinion the Magnum 140d as well as the 200d were excellent steelhead reels. It is to bad they stopped making them:mad:
The word over here is that they are restarting production of the Magnums, although they will be coming out of China since Orvis closed down the UK factory. It remains to be seen whether the Chinese-made ones will be as good as the old ones - I'm a fan of Magnums too, and own a number of them, but I have heard rumours which would not inspire confidence in the Chinese ones.

·
Registered
141 Posts
what about the new cortland endurance? the #3 will hold "WF 9/10 Spey + 250yd 30# Micron". for $109 it's hard to beat. of course i have only played with 1 for a couple minutes at the show....

·
Registered
202 Posts
magnum reels

I have both the 140 and 200. They are nice solid reels and I have never had a problem with them. Lots of capacity too. I wish they still made them.

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.