Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at A COUPLE OF SUBSCIPTIONS FOR THE BOOKSHELF, any suggestions, Mailnly a trout and Salmon Junkie not much into Salt and Bass(no offence to those who are)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Will look through these

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I might get shot for saying this, but you are far better of spending your money on good books that have good, solid tying instruction and/or lots of dressings for trout, or salmon, or steelhead, or salmon and steelhead than spending money on magazines.

Back when FLYTYER (which is ostensible only about fly tying and flies) first hit the market in the 1970's, it was a terrific resource for fly tyers that was full of great tying hints and techniques encompassing all levels of tying skills from rank beginner to the very advanced married-wing tyer. However, after it was sold a few times, it became a very different magazine.

It is unfortunately in my opinion now so full of "hype" and hyperbole as to not be worth the time to read the vast majority of issues. Yes, the photos a great. Yes, there are flies by some of the so-called "luminaries" (i.e. professional fly fishers-guides/shop owners/tackle reps/writers). For example, nearly every issue now has at least one "article/featured fly" that is nothing more than a material change from a fly that has been in use for many years. But of course it has a new name. Thus, why I think there is way too much "hype" in it these days.

Too bad it changed from how it was done the first 3 or 4 years it was produced. Those early issues are gems, the latest aren't. Unfortunately, many of the current articles are prone to "hype" and hyperbole through telling you this is the latest, greatest fly, or you have to get and use this latest miracle synthetic if you want to have the new, modern, up-to-date, whiz-bang, sure-fire fish getter.

If you want to learn how to do a particular technique, you are better off buying books on trout, salmon, and steelhead flies and fly tying. Same goes for dressings.

And this area of speypages is full of excellent stuff on flies and tying and is a far, far better resource than the fly tying mags. Just sayin' of course.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,264 Posts
I agree with my friend Russ above. I picked up a lot more from some good pattern guide books than from magazines.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree with my friend Russ above. I picked up a lot more from some good pattern guide books than from magazines.
I agree with Ard who agrees with Russ.
Books for sure. Magazines are expensive and full of ads and articles promoting the products of those advertisers. Nothing against any of that but for my money books have more value. Much easier to reference and sort too.
I treasure my angling library and am always eager to add to it...even in the internet age.

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
The age of the good magazine is over in my opinion. Fish and Fly was awesome a really good read.

There are tons of great stuff on the net, for instance Swing the Fy is very good and just came out with a new issue.

The Drake is alright but just gets more and more mundane after a while.

Get yourself some good books. John Sheweys has a new one that will entertain for years to come.

KC

·
Hacker
591 Posts
I agree with Ard who agrees with Russ.
Books for sure. Magazines are expensive and full of ads and articles promoting the products of those advertisers. Nothing against any of that but for my money books have more value. Much easier to reference and sort too.
I treasure my angling library and am always eager to add to it...even in the internet age.
I agree about books. Much better value and much more informative. I got Shewey's new book along with Veverka's for Christmas and both are outstanding.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tend to agree

However I do have a reasonable collection of books many of those mentioned above, and for technical writings they are the place to go,

Maybe I am just set in my ways where monthly, every two months or each quarter some tying fluff comes along for just some relaxing reading.

(Yes I do agree there is generally more advertising going on than actual articles but to keep costs down that is what needs to happen)

Again thanks there are at least two I am loooking into so mission accomplished

·
Registered
879 Posts
I can't bring myself to buy any mags, mainly because of the reasons listed above. Plus, I really hate overly romantic, fluffy fly fishing pieces, though that seems to be mainly a trout thing. Having said, that I'll download a back issue of Chasing Silver (iPad) now and then. I like reading about the European flies, techniques, gear, fisheries. Just something a little different, I guess.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bmmmm Chasing Silver

:) Sounds like my kind of thing

Delayed Xmas gift on route Ben, sorry for the delay

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree with books as a great source, but I get most of my inspiration from this website, a few other blogs that feature fly tying, and Youtube tutorials. I used to subscribe to half a dozen fly fishing magazines, but I have whittled it down to just two, and that is about to become one.

Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good books for sure. If you must read a rag, try and find some of the "Art of Angling" mags from the early 2000's. I started buying them on Ebay and Amazon as they came up for sale cheap. Not a ton of technical articles, but tons of info on classic flies from Salmon to Steelhead. I recommend getting the issues with the articles on Edward Haas. Northwest Fly Fishing is the only on the shelf in production magazine I ever pick up anymore, and only if it has a good set of articles.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree with... just about everybody. Books for sure. There are great general tomes like Leeson and Schollmeyer's Fly Tiers Benchside Reference and a whole lot of more specific ones. But I know what you mean about the thrill of something new to read every couple of months, so why not draw up a bucket list of books and buy one every few months through a secondhand site like abebooks.com? Then santa can come 6 times a year!

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great Idea

Something to Ponder for sure

I agree with... just about everybody. Books for sure. There are great general tomes like Leeson and Schollmeyer's Fly Tiers Benchside Reference and a whole lot of more specific ones. But I know what you mean about the thrill of something new to read every couple of months, so why not draw up a bucket list of books and buy one every few months through a secondhand site like abebooks.com? Then santa can come 6 times a year!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
What he said.

I might get shot for saying this, but you are far better of spending your money on good books that have good, solid tying instruction and/or lots of dressings for trout, or salmon, or steelhead, or salmon and steelhead than spending money on magazines.

Back when FLYTYER (which is ostensible only about fly tying and flies) first hit the market in the 1970's, it was a terrific resource for fly tyers that was full of great tying hints and techniques encompassing all levels of tying skills from rank beginner to the very advanced married-wing tyer. However, after it was sold a few times, it became a very different magazine.

It is unfortunately in my opinion now so full of "hype" and hyperbole as to not be worth the time to read the vast majority of issues. Yes, the photos a great. Yes, there are flies by some of the so-called "luminaries" (i.e. professional fly fishers-guides/shop owners/tackle reps/writers). For example, nearly every issue now has at least one "article/featured fly" that is nothing more than a material change from a fly that has been in use for many years. But of course it has a new name. Thus, why I think there is way too much "hype" in it these days.

Too bad it changed from how it was done the first 3 or 4 years it was produced. Those early issues are gems, the latest aren't. Unfortunately, many of the current articles are prone to "hype" and hyperbole through telling you this is the latest, greatest fly, or you have to get and use this latest miracle synthetic if you want to have the new, modern, up-to-date, whiz-bang, sure-fire fish getter.

If you want to learn how to do a particular technique, you are better off buying books on trout, salmon, and steelhead flies and fly tying. Same goes for dressings.

And this area of speypages is full of excellent stuff on flies and tying and is a far, far better resource than the fly tying mags. Just sayin' of course.
I have found little in print worth the cost of subscription, with one exception. "Northwest Sportsman," all over the map on this/what but one heck of a fun 'bathroom' read. :rolleyes:

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Good books for sure. If you must read a rag, try and find some of the "Art of Angling" mags from the early 2000's. I started buying them on Ebay and Amazon as they came up for sale cheap. Not a ton of technical articles, but tons of info on classic flies from Salmon to Steelhead. I recommend getting the issues with the articles on Edward Haas. Northwest Fly Fishing is the only on the shelf in production magazine I ever pick up anymore, and only if it has a good set of articles.
Art of Angling, real gems there. The net is good. Watch/Wish list. Santa Clause comes all year long. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts