Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering to buy lighter steelhead rod in wt. 6-7 category( which can be used with sink tips) and would like to hear the board opinions on CND Solstice 13'4” 6/7, B.Meiser S2H 13' et.6/7MKS or S2H 13' wt.6/7 and eventually Scott LS2 13' wt.7.
What is the difference between S2H 13' wt. 6/7 and similarly rated rod in MKS series?

Martin

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you can't find an LS2 1307 to play with locally, PM me and I'll send you mine to try out.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Way for your offer. I have found LS2 1307 and now have good picture of this rod and Solstice 13'4”.
The 1307, in my inexperienced hands, felt very crisp ,but not stiff what I like !
It cast great with W/C 6/7/8 floater and type 3 tip as well as MS 6/7 floater. It is a very light rod!!
Solstice 13'4” had deeper, sweet flex and created very sharp loops.
I had chance to try it only with W/C 6/7/8 and MS 6/7 floater. I know that the 13'4” is also superb rod for Skagit type heads.
I would like to know if anyone with an average casting skills had a good luck with the Solstice using W/C or similar line and type 3, 15' sink tip.

Martin

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Solstice 6/7

Martin,

I've got one fall under my belt for spey fishing. First and only rod has been the Solstice 13'4" 6/7.

My primary line is a chopped SA Shorthead 6/7. I cut it back 12' and use RIO 15" tips up to type 8. Type 3 and 6 is easy and 8 is not so bad either. Haven't tried T-14 on it. I'm been able to do all the spey casts with the tips...even snake rolls.

My secondary line is the RIO Skagit 450. Haven't spent too much time with it but when I got a few pokes correct the big flies and Type 8 would cast surprisingly well (well beyond the capabilities of the SA S/H line).

I'd be very interested to try a 'faster' action rod...however I'm happy with the Solstice so far. Since my background was long 13' 'noodle' rods, using centre-pin float reels, the Solstic gave me comfort in the deep 'softer' action for playing fish on lighter tippets. For single hand rods I prefer med/fast rods for playing fish. Hence why I ended up going with the CND.

Hope that helps,
Preston
Toronto

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Burkheimer 7125(12'5" for 7) is an outstanding rod. It is the sweetest 7 weight !
It throws tips with authority(cut back 9/10/11 Windcutter) and absolutely loves the 8/9 Snowbee 2D for a dryline.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Big K1,
Have you casted the 7129 Burkheimer? I am looking at that rod and I was looking for any comments. Is the this better than the 6126 Sage?
Chris

·
Registered
68 Posts
Is it light too?

I mean CND Solstice 15'2 6/7? I wonder if it can handle sink line? Or it more for floating one? If this rod deals with lines not heavier than 30 grams I'd rather think of having one. But not new.
What else can be found on the market longer than 14' for light line purpose?

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
Hello Martin

I have been using the Meiser S2H 13' 6/7 over 18 months. This is my primary rod from May until November. I mainly fish sink tips. I use the rio MS 6/7 with std tips. I tried the MKS series at a clave and prefer the rod I have. You really need to test the mentioned rods because they have different flex profiles. You will not be disappointed with any rods mentioned. Just find the one that feels right for you.

Gary

·
Registered
562 Posts
Rybkin,
If you are looking for a long light rod I would suggest looking at the Loomis 15' 7/8. It is a very nice light action rod. I know that a few guys have also put short bellies / skagits on this rod when it came time to fish tips and absolutely loved it. But where it really shines is for greased line work.

I've only had the opportunity to cast it a few times, but it is next on my list to be added to the arsenal.

Gillie

·
Registered
68 Posts
I do believe

in Loomis. But according to G.Loomis Greased Line Data, this particular rod does not come to my understanding of light rod. So I'd like to try 15' working with, for example, WC 7/8/9(I mean weight of it).
If it is possible, of course.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I fished the CND Solstice 15'2" for a season on the Clearwater using a 7/8 Airflo Delta Long with tips. It was used with a floating line mostly as that is the way I prefer to fish, however I thought it handled the sinktips very well.

I also like the Loomis Greased Line 15'-7/8. I agree with Gillie, this is a fantastic floating line rod that will work very nicely with a skagit line.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Rybkin,

I didn't try the CND Solstice 15'2" with a WC 7/8/9 but I did fish it a lot with a Airflo Delta 7/8 that I really liked.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Mjc

I also like the Loomis Greased Line 15'-7/8. I agree with Gillie, this is a fantastic floating line rod that will work very nicely with a skagit line.[/QUOTE]

This original thread was about 6/7 wts...have any experience with the 12' 9" GLX Dredger? I've been fishing mine with a 450 Rio and 8/9 midspey tips. Really like it! Just looking for experienced comments.

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Light wt. 6/7 rods

I fished Meiser's 6/7 MKS all last summer with Hardy Mach 1 9/10 floating, Mach 1 8/9 Intermediate and Beulah 450 grain long belly. Delightful rod and lines.

Rich

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
This original thread was about 6/7 wts...have any experience with the 12' 9" GLX Dredger?
Yes it was about 6/7s but it seemed to have turned the corner abit with Rybkin's question.

As to the little Dredgers, I haven't fished them. I'm much more of a 15' rod with a longish floating line kind of guy.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Ringlee said:
Big K1,
Have you casted the 7129 Burkheimer? I am looking at that rod and I was looking for any comments. Is the this better than the 6126 Sage?
Chris
Chris,

I have cast the 7129-3. It was a much slower rod. The 7125 is quite a different rod. In my opinion it is a better rod in fit,function and looks than the 6126 Sage.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't think I turned the corner...

But if the thread deals only with number 6/7 written on a rod-then all's right...
Look. All lines recs for mentioned rods are MS 6/7,SASH 7/8, Delta 7/8 etc. But if these lines(according their weights-Lines Data november 2004) could handle as well above rods, including GL, as 5120, what is meant 6/7?
Sorry men, I'm young speycaster(43, 6-in this sport), perhaps first was the line? What is sugestion? As in my case-I need rod(15'-way of improving skill in long rod art with fishing ability) for real 6/7 line(35-40 grams mid belly) for my native waters. Otherwise it would look like using T-92 or Abrams for varmint.
And sorry for my english.
BTW, is there anybody from college of Main? Some of them once visit my town Orel in 1989... Any idea to help?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Rybkin please take the thread whereveer your questions lead you. There is no "law" that these discussion stay in the thread and sometimes much more info is derived if the subject gets off track here and there. I was not responding that the thread was on track "until you" ask a question about some heavier lines, only that you had ask a question and I was trying to answer it.

We have all been down this rod/line matching road. I believe the only sure way of matching this tackle up is a test drive on the water. There is now much great tackle and lots of designers some of whom have much differing opinions about what line sizes match what rods. I believe you can only use the numbers as a rough starting point as we are all different in stature, personal preference, style, and ability.

As in my case-I need rod(15'-way of improving skill in long rod art with fishing ability) for real 6/7 line(35-40 grams mid belly) for my native waters.
Based on your quote above I would take a serious look at the CND Solstice 15'2". For me it matched your criteria very well. I would also look at the Loomis 15' 7/8 Greased Liner. For me it is a little "more powerful" then the Solstice but I don't have nearly as much experience with it either as compared to the Solstice 15'2". I still think it will fall in the parimeters you have set forth.

I think your English is just fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mjc

Thanks for all!
I like "matching road"- in this case flyfishing, esp. its spey paragraph, will attracts as fishing as finding new matches. At least for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts