Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to take a break from tying. I saw the other day that the opening day for Atl. Salmon started on the Tay in Scotland. A procession of anglers were led by a bag-piper. I'm also sure a few "wee drams" were offered up to the Fish Gods because thats the tradition. I also saw a picture of a very nice 17 springer that was caught that 1st day.
I'm hoping to be on a certain river March 7th for the Opening Day of Sea-Trout. What does everyone else do on your opener? Never had to worry about opening day for salmon or steelhead before but Sweden has certain dates for everything. Just tye on your favorite fly and go to it? Or is there something special to insure success for the year? Let me know.

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Lambchop, my old opening day ritual was to get completely roaring, wasted, annialated, falling down, sickly, drunk the night before the season opened:eyecrazy: :devil: This helps to insure that it is physically impossible to fish the next day with any sort of skill, nearly gurantees that I take a header into the icy cold river (though it help wakes one up, it makes it a little tricky to cast when you are drifting down a run, face down) and thus saves the fish from my dynamic fishing prowess. This sparing of the fish on the first day of the season is made up for by grand fishing for the rest of the year :hehe: :hehe:

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Hi Lambchop
Out here opening day cerimonies are remarkably different. To begin with they are usually marked by the arrival of fish not a piper. Then we spend the entire day trying to hide are vehicle from plain sight and lying through our teeth . So as not to give up our location or tactics to anyone. However when caught and cornered we bragg profusely of the days success! Quite a bit different indeed, although I really like the piper idea.:hehe:

hope to see you out! N.I.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts