Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Pin cushion
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some friends and I are thinking of taking a trip west in the next couple of years,but we have not yet decided on a location.
Of course the Babine was brought up,but is it worth the big$ to stay at one of the lodges there?
How about the John day,the Umpqua or the Skykomish or Skagit. Man, there are so many rivers and so little time!
If you had one river/lodge to spend the week at from California to B.C. where would it be?
Thanks,
Dustin

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I sound like a 'stuck record.... ' but the answer is

pretty simple.

The Rogue River (Southern Oregon) fish counts have been increasing (year round) since the early '90's. And there's fish 'running' almost 12 months of the year.

Gather from a brief conversation this morning that the winter runs in the top 30 miles are expected to be about 18,000 fish. And this doesn't count all the other WR's that went up the Applegate, Illinois, etc., and etc.

Spring king run comes in late spring-early summer: last year 33,000 fish, the year before it was almost 40,000 kings. 2004's season is projected to be closer to the 40k number. Fall kings at 24,000 some fish, summer runs lots and lots and lots.

Point of all of the above is our runs have been getting progressively larger every year as everyone elses (over statement) appear to be going into the tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Olyimpic penensula in washington. If you can get the right water conditions there are the monster, bright and fierce fish. Many rivers to chose from in the forks area.

·
Registered
147 Posts
it depends what you are looking for..

The Babine is definetly worth it.. However as with most wild rivers it's fishability is VERY weather related. Wild rivers like the babine can go out of shape under a number of circumstances, particularly if you were to go to the lower more popular lodge ( won't mention names)
The Deschutes in Oregon could be a good choice for you. typically there are lots of fish that move well to a fly and some outstanding guides as well.
The North Umpqua would also be an excellent choice. and I'd recommend mid september there.
there are great accomodations right on the river and good access to more water than you can fish in a week with good numbers of aggressive fish.

I am sure the Rogue would be a good choice too but i don't know anything about it.
if this is your first trip out west I strongly suggest sticking with summer run steelhead that are known to be responsive to flies.. do some research.. this forum is a good place to start

1 - 4 of 4 Posts