Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to give it another shot, overcooked the taper a touch I think, I'm still happy.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Looks killer, if the tail was a touch shorter it would be complete. I Like the wing taper its almost in perfect alignment with the hackle taper.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Great tie!

Thanks for sharing ;)

Mike

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brilliant
is it Kelson ideas mixed wing?
everything looks nice and full of detail
Not really sure how kelson did it, but my tip orientation is opposite of kelson (from how I read) I call this method the double Decker.pb&j method haha :hihi:

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You tying both sides in or one at a time ?
Same time, and try to keep it all on the top of the shank. Its alot to keep up there. I take a loop around the bunch of barbs, take tension then put it on shank. Modified soft loop if you will. I'll see if I can post another pic later how that looks

·
Registered
994 Posts
Nice Matt, and thanks for the little tutorial. Nice to see how it's done, some day maybe I'll be able to do that. That brush you use, is that a dental brush. Thanks for posting your flies are super.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice Matt, and thanks for the little tutorial. Nice to see how it's done, some day maybe I'll be able to do that. That brush you use, is that a dental brush. Thanks for posting your flies are super.
Tongue brush!!! Haha:hihi:

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Doesn't it always in pictures? Dude is compressing like 1786 barbs in each wing there, nothing easy about that! Especially to keep the taper in the wing tips. Very nice Matt!
Bahahahahaha!!!! 1786 Barbs, literally cant stop laughing J! :chuckle:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Doesn't it always in pictures? Dude is compressing like 1786 barbs in each wing there, nothing easy about that! Especially to keep the taper in the wing tips. Very nice Matt!
Come on now, let's not exaggerate! Can't be more than maybe, 1639 barbs in there!!

Great tie, Matt!

I just stumbled upon the same method for the wings myself. Frandsen's interpretation of Blacker's wings use the same stacking method. I've played a bit with it and really like the results.

Thanks for a great post,

-Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts