Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question/poll for all of the spey geeks.

If'n you were going on a world tour of all the great steelhead and salmon rivers, and could only take one line, what line would you take?

Attachments

·
Registered
886 Posts
OK, I'll only take one line, but how many rods and reels am I allowed?

Cannot be done

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Willie's right. One line (unless a multi-tip) ..

wouldn't cover the ground. And, to be truthful, I haven't found a multi-tip line I like yet.

So Fred .... answer the man. I could 'get away' with two lines in a pinch. One set up as a full dry line, the other for chucking tips. So .... answer the man .. what lines?

Depends; low or high(er) water conditions for the dry line. Higher I'd choose an XLT. For lower water conditions, the Airflo Delta's due to their versitility in choices of fly size/wts afforded.

For tips it would (in all probability) be a cut back windcutter. Not the best line for tips, but probably the most versitel.

That's my story and I'm stickin too it.
:devil:

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Well since we are talking a tour of the best steelhead rivers in the world a floater is all I should need.

I have never cast the intermediate but do love my floater.

-sean

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Sean,

I would agree with the Jetstream if I only needed a floater but I am assuming one would also need tips on this trip and I have yet to cast one that has been cut. A floater on the Kispiox is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Fred,

Why not just cut your XLT for tips?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Carron Jetstream - a long belly so the stripping is minimal, yet not too long so as to still load well for shorter casts/smaller rivers. While I haven't cast a cut Jetstream - I cannot imagine it not being equally awesome.

I could also choose a Rio Accellerator - for the exact same reasons listed above - except I have fished a cut one for years - so I know it handles tips like a champ.

·
Registered
229 Posts
G.P.,

For the rivers I fish (medium-size water; stripping the fly to keep it moving at the end of the swing) either the Rio WindCutter Spey #8/9/10 w/tips or the Airflo Delta Spey #8/9 w/tips is the perfect complement.

As for one rod, I'm still trying to figure that out...

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Because I like casting and long-belly lines so much, I would choose the 8/9 GrandSpey with tips. In a mid-belly line, I would choose a 9/10 MidSpey with tips.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
my geeks a swingin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wulf triangle,,9-10,,or,10-11,,,,i could work with that and make it happen,actually,,i like DT lines,watcha got????are you tryin' to guide the canyon too!,,man it's already gettin' crowded!!!:smokin:

·
just one more cast...
163 Posts
I'm with ya Hammer!

Dry line? Wulff TT hands down- for me, great fishing in close, and loves to stretch out across the river.
Tips? Tough choice between XLT or Accelerator ( w/hingectomy), both cut for tips. Depends on the rod.

Now the rod, hmmm. That the rub. OK GP, when are we leaving???:D

Cheers,
macspey

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
9/10 (maybe 8/9) xlt cut at 26 feet with compliment of tips and would bring the Scott 1509 as my rod of choice

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Honest answer is I love the xlt lines too much ..

"Fred, Why not just cut your XLT for tips?"

to take a knife to one.

As a prure casting line for long leaders, etc., over all the best I've ever used. Only 'tweek' I've noticed with the line is the light 6-7 does need about 3 foot clipped off the end if you're going to cast long leaders/heavy/two fly set ups.

The 7-8, and so on, doesn't display this tendency (leader laying out flat to water/up stream of the line on longer casts) for me, unless I'm out beyond a 16' leader system. (Now, is that a 'run-on' sentence or what? Mom must be rolling over in her grave.)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great answers all.

What got me going on the quest for one line that does it all? I like to think of my self as a less is more kind of guy, so every now and again when I look at my flexy file full of lines that go on trips with me, I become a bit disgusted. Seeking a simpler existence. ONE very versatile line. But being a true spey geek, I am in full agreement with Willie Gun, it can't be done.

However, back to the Question...let me rephrase a bit. The tour will be going to all medium to large rivers with salmon, steelhead and will include the sea run browns. This will probably take us 4 or 5 years. How are we going to pay for a thousand or so spey casters to fly and fish for 5 solid years to all points of the planet? Simple, we convince President Bush to pull out of Iraq one day early and with the money he saves from one day of operation he sponsors our good will tour. We will have enough money left over to buy our own Speypages bonefish island somewhere. (disclaimer, this is not a knock on our boys and girls in Iraq. God bless them.)

You have to choose one line that will handle all, not one for tips and one dry, that IS the rub. Like Sinktip said "you do not want to show up to a gun fight with a knife". This being said, I do understand those that like to fish how they fish and some time would rather stick to full floaters despite the futility (you will most likely lose that particular gun fight but you may have already won the war). You do not have to choose only one rod (that was going to be my next thread). Remember, planet Earth is your home water, so think is broad terms.

Thanks for joining in,

Greg

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
For the rivers in my area, it would have to be the AIRFLO DELTA or WINDCUTTER. The weight would be the hard choice as I am not sure which rod I would match it to.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would have no anxiety about fishing for 3 months straight with just a #8 or 9 floater.

Sinktip: I sort of look at it the other way -ie- bringing a sinktip to the Kispiox is like bringing a gun to a knife fight. "I didn't drive 800 miles just to chuck a tip";)

Poul

1 - 20 of 30 Posts