Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I know there is ALOT of purple on this fly, and i also think the hackle is a little full but after i finished it and pawed it a little,, well I kind of liked it.
Immediately thoughts of big Margaree Salmon entered my mind,, Lets hope!
Sorry for the poor quality of pic,, its a scanned image.
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>

Attachments

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Flytyer.
Yep, that's what it is. I met Francois Blanchet(Frenchy on the forum) at a show here on the East Coast a few weeks ago and he inadvertantly turned me on to using them. I will get some dyed soon but i find that the natural fibers compliment nearly any color you choose. Honestly undertaker, steelies were not far from my mind when i pulled this from the vise.
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Salmon Chaser,

I like the effect of the double Amhearst tail horns on it. By the way, Amhearst tail is very easy to dye. All you need is some good acid dye (Jacquard's, Fly Dye, Kiton, Washfast are all excellent-Pro Chemical and Dye carries Washfast and Kiton and has its own web site; Fly Dye has a web site, and Jacquard's is available from many craft stores). In fact, you can dye the Amhearst with unsweetened Kool Aid by using a package of the unsweetened Kool Aid in 2 quarts of water and adding some white vinegar to it to set the dye (believe it or not, Kool Aid gets is color from an edible acid dye).

Don't be put off by the name acid dye, all it means is that the dye is set in the feathers or fur by using a weak acid in the dye bath. In other words, the weak acid makes the dye permanent and water proof.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts