Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, back to the corner table at the Log Cabin Pub. If you were limited to one fly to swing on the end of a Spey for either Atlantic salmon or steelhead, what would it be and why? And just to make things interesting, no you can't have one fly for winter, one for summer--you only get to pick one fly, and in one size only!

I'm a steelhead guy (haven't fished Atlantics...yet...) so I'd have to say a tube version of the black marabou General Practitioner (beat 'cha, kush!), size 2.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Is there another fly?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Well, if it's just gotta be one ....

On the Rogue I'd say a size 8 Bead-head Prince Nymph.
fe

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hmmm, well I guess it would be a size 6 weighted black stone fly I would go with for N.A. steelhead and atlantic salmon.

Can't beat the color black.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Obviously Willie Gunn 2" Waddinton I have caught all this seasons salmon on it. 3 last week out of a total of four off the beat. All released which is a novelty in Scotland.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Malcolm

You need to diversify your fly selection, they will take other flies have the faith. Good to hear you are adopting our american C+R ethics. What do the others think of it ?

Best

Hal

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hal,
There lies the rub, the Spey board have asked for 75% C&R some beats have acheived 0%.
I did try other flies but they did not work, tie on the old faithful Willie Gunn and a fish came along.

Malcolm

·
Registered
459 Posts
Malcolm,

I know what you mean, I usually do not start with my old reliable flies but something I want to prove I can catch them on which I have not done before. But after a couple of hours of nothing I revert to the old reliables (normally Hexigenia Limbata May Fly Nymph style fly). After that the stone fly comes next.

You mean the Spey board on the Spey River right wants 75% released. Looks like they have some more angler education to do. Not necessary to have salmon for easter dinner is it ?

Best

Hal

P.S. I am sending you a couple of the Hex may fly versions with the AS swap flies.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One Fly For Steelhead

For steelhead - #2 dark purple woolly bugger with a deep red conehead, tied on a relatively short shanked, heavy wire hook.

Why:

- lots of movement;
- works for summers and winters;
- works on dark and bright days;
- can be slimmed up or bulked out;
- easy to tie;
- sinks well;
- casts well;
- it works for me (probably because I fish it more than anything else).

A new steelhead fly fisher once asked a noted fly fishing author (I believe it was Trey Combs) what flies work for steelhead. The answer: about 6,000.

·
Licensed Curmudgeon
41 Posts
American Express Fly(DON'T leave home without it)

It's gotta be black, but I like a touch of hot color...

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
Bob,

Looks like a good great lakes skamania summer run pattern will be trying that one out. Black and pink is a great combination. Don't know why they like flourescent pink but they do.

I will figure out how to tie it.

Hal

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'll have to pass

Can't imagine fishing on top all winter with a goodly clump of deer hair so I'll pass on this one.
Silver Doc that is a beautiful thing. The general style I perfer for winter runs in varying hues of bright and dark well done. Your photo skill is awe inspiring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A #4 Steelhead Sulpin (originated by Harry Lemire)!!! The fly has a Matuka wing and dances in the surface, but if forced to fish deep it has alot of action. Fish just nail this fly.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I,d like a choice of sizes

For me it just has to be the silk cut shrimp,purple and pearly with a hint of black and silver and ared head , tho if I wanted a big fly I,d go with Malcom and the Wille Gunn !

·
Licensed Curmudgeon
41 Posts
Milwaukee Spey recipe

Hal;
Your mailbox is full, so will post it here:

Go to the "Spey Fly Primer" under tying pages on my site.
The hackle is a John Shewey double dyed marabou(black/hot pink).
I've also subbed purple for the black when I don't want the stark silouhette of the black.
Shoot me your snailmail & I'll send a sample.
Sitting here waiting for the rivers to warm up...
BTW, there is a new book available:
Shrimp & Spey Flies for Salmon by Chris Mann & Robert Gillespie,(ISBN 187367452X), & John Shewey has a Spey/Dee book coming out soon.
Best fishes,

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
my favorite sink tip fly is a big intruder. however, when fishing a dry line i use Dave McNece [sp] type flys size 3 alec jackson hook , hot pink, orange , or green floss butt, golden pheasant hackles, red golden crest tail, front 2/3 body purple seal.
beau

·
Registered
459 Posts
Bob - Thanks

Yes I was thinking of purple also for the summer runs. Already have tied a bunch of my own patterns. I think black and purple and black and fluor pink is the way to go. Maybe orange also although I never have luck with orange other than egg flies.

Black rules and natural nymphs.

My e-mail is [email protected]

Hitting the rivers soon. Was suppose to go last week but work got in the way, kind of glad because the weather as you know was real snowy and COLD.

Best,

Hal

P.S My days of steelheading in 20 degree temps are probably over, that did not use to stop me. 10 degrees stopped me, I tried that a couple of times 20 years ago. That was torture.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts