1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
4' Maxima Ultragreen #10

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
That 10lb Maxima will probably test at 15lb - the stuff is awesome. However, since I don't believe steelhead are leader shy - especially on sunk lines - I use 15lb Ultragreen.

Truth be told, on the Thompson I use it for dryline work as well.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Leader length .02 cents only.

Dry line work: at least a 15 foot tappered leader.

Sinking tips/poly leaders: 2-3 foot with an unweighted fly, 3-4 foot with a weighted fly.

Tippet material in winter is usually 10# maxima ultra green or 10# Cabela's Silver Thread co-poly material. Summer will be 6-8# depending upon the water flow.

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
A permenant Butt section of 18'' of 20lb on the sink tip, looped or Albrighted to about 2 1/2 feet of maxima 8lb to -however big I think I can get away with. Rope size of the water is dirty.:devil: Yes I know the butt doesn't really do much, but I don't feel as tackle nerdy without some sort of taper and a few knots to fuss with. Can't have life too simple now.

Oh I also use about 20 feet of nylon cord. Half inch..... To my anchor. Gets down mighty quick, right on them stones. Bit tough to spey cast though.:p

·
Registered
62 Posts
down and dirty with maxima

i like either 12 or 15 pound ultra-green maxima.you dont want to go too heavy as you have to be able to break off without destroying your leader/ flyline set-up when your fly gets hung up on the bottom(and it will).

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Total length of 4 to 5 feet with RIO salmon/bass/steelhead 13.2# as the tippet during winter/spring or when chum/king fishing. During summer/fall total length the same 4 to 5 feet but the tippet is lowered to RIO salmon/bass/steelhead 10.5# tippet.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
2' of 30# Ultragreen and 2-2.5' 17.4 # Techtan

The Techtan is the same diameter as 12# ultragreen and is a little bit less stiff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts