Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
18,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends :)
My annual pilgrimage to the east coast for the fall salar hunt is drawing very close .
Needless to say the sleepless nights have already started . The rods are all polished and the reels all cleaned . All my lines are stretched , cleaned , coated and organized into the designated sleeves . It won't be long now !!

I must mention there has been some amazing work shown here in our little section of the Speypages !! Some fantastic flytyers that frequent these pages that inspire me to tie and think outside of the box . Thanks to everyone for their contributions here !!

I haven't posted a fly in a while , though I have been tying for the trip . It just seems that every time I get an opportunity to snap a photo , it rains , the wife has extended the "honey-do-list" , the kids are calling .... you know , life happens . This morning was different , last day of my time at home , kids just got off to school and the wife is happy with her cup of coffee on the patio . Good opportunity to take a photo or two .... as my wife giggles at my efforts to try and make the photos interesting :hihi:
Of course she lets out a sigh and rolls her eyes as I quickly grab an opportunity to turn the S-Handles on the Olson's :roll: "Shhush !!" she says as the handles go round , "you'll wake up the neighbours !!" I retort by glaring back and saying "I know ..... fish on !!" . :chuckle::chuckle: She didn't find it as funny as I did .....

I tied a few Brown Wing Killers in hand . I have a couple runs in mind for these :)

A little closer .

Not quite as per pattern , I used brown heron in front of the grey heron (both are legal) , opposed to red-brown GP . I do like the flow better with the heron , just would like the heron to have a richer colour .

Hope the salmon like them !!

Mike

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Mike, it has been a while for you and more than worth the wait. Looking at the beautiful flies and reels I can see what's got you so pumped-up.

Tight lines, and safe travels Mike.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Fantastic work.

·
Administrator
18,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice looking patio
That's my patio table :chuckle::chuckle:

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

Vic , I have about three weeks to wait before I head out . I take off for work tomorrow for two weeks then it's back home . Get the gear all ready , have Thanksgiving with the family , then a couple days later , off to Cape Breton !!
Meeting up with a few friends this trip to share a run or two , tie some flies and sip some single malt while sharing stories . It's going to be awesome !!

Mike

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
I found some heron like feathers while cutting wood 2 days ago, this is good inspiration to wrap them on a dee. Lovely ties, love that tail standing proud.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
very nice!!!

I'm close to Idaho...(3 days) ...and will have both those olsons with me as well...
(though the all black will be 4 1/4 for the 15' BW and the silver and black is 4")

Good Luck my man!!!

·
Administrator
18,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very nice!!!

I'm close to Idaho...(3 days) ...and will have both those olsons with me as well...
(though the all black will be 4 1/4 for the 15' BW and the silver and black is 4")

Good Luck my man!!!
I wish you well my friend !! Safe travels and screaming reels !!
Nothing like swinging big sticks and fabulous reels , eh ?? :smokin:

I would have really appreciated a PM so I could have sent you some flies to try on your trip . Maybe next time ??
Both my Olson's are 4" . The all black is a wide drum XXX and the black and silver is a XXXX wide :smokin: I have two more Olson's on the way , another 4" , but in gold and black and XXXX wide and a fat bottomed 3 3/4" black and silver XXXX wide :smokin: Into single digit months now , 9 months and they will be on the way to they're new home .

Matt , spin up those feathers , don't let them go to waste !! Would love to see what you come up with my friend !!
I feel that tails should be a focal point , something for the fish to zoom into . This is why you will notice I elongate and fork them , then add a POP veil feather to enhance . I feel that both steelhead and salmon need a little help to focus . Once you have got their attention with movement and pulsing hackles , tail section gives them something interesting to check out . Kind of like if J-Lo passed you by , you won't be starring into her eyes for long :hihi:

Mike

·
Registered
776 Posts
Great to see your flies again Mike on such a beautiful day. I wish you all the best on your trip east and i hope I run into you on the river this year. Preston and I went through your water on the weekend washing flies.

All the best
Brayden

·
Registered
997 Posts
Killer flies, Killer reels, Killer patio! (Is the coffee good? :chuckle:)
I was going to comment on your tails but you beat me to the punch! They look great, nice and full but balanced. Great killers!

Good luck on your trip Mike.... however armed with tackle like this, the fish will be the lucky ones!

Cheers for sharing these!

James

·
Administrator
18,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you James for the kind words :)
The coffee is always good at my place , freshly ground Sumatra beans , 1 litre in the French press as we speak :smokin:
The wife adds that liquid sugar butternut pecan syrup stuff to it :Eyecrazy: nasty !!

Brayden , I'm hoping to meet up with you guys this fall/winter , either river would be fine with me :)
But you got to tell that Preston fellow to start playing nice and sharing the runs :chuckle::chuckle:

Mike

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
It's just to hard to look at the flies with the reels in the background beauties.

The flies are awesome to Mike, have a great time!

KC

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Inspirational as always, Mike!
Seems your days mirror mine! No time to play.....
I get the rolling eyes, too!
Only thing is that now the kids are really into tying! Now I blame the kids for all the
"fluffies" my wife finds around the house!
Hope you have a great time. We will of course be expecting a full report on your return!

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Outstand craftsmanship, lines are perfect. What a joy they would be to swing. Good work Mike.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
That's my patio table :chuckle::chuckle:

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

Vic , I have about three weeks to wait before I head out . I take off for work tomorrow for two weeks then it's back home . Get the gear all ready , have Thanksgiving with the family , then a couple days later , off to Cape Breton !!
Meeting up with a few friends this trip to share a run or two , tie some flies and sip some single malt while sharing stories . It's going to be awesome !!

Mike
Mike, I've never been. From what I can tell - Cape Breton sounds amazing!!
I must say... you've got bad. Bad in a good way. I've it bad. You are 3 weeks out and loosing sleep. Brother - you've got BAD. :)

Again, Those look - killer. Hope to see what others you are wrapping up in preparation.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
you'll find that 3 3/4 to not be what you were wanting and can send it to me, no problem...

If you sent me flies Mike I would put them in my shop and they wouldn't see water LOL...Bigwillys flies are to nice to fish!!!

·
Administrator
18,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you'll find that 3 3/4 to not be what you were wanting and can send it to me, no problem...

If you sent me flies Mike I would put them in my shop and they wouldn't see water LOL...Bigwillys flies are to nice to fish!!!
You have put a spear through my heart .... you've crushed my self confidence being able to tie a fishing fly ..... I'll get over it . I'll chalk you up as a non-swinger of my flies . You are banished from my fly tubs .... :hihi:

As for the reel ... not a chance , but nice try :razz:

KC , the Olson's have that effect on people .

John my brother , thank you for the kind words .
I think every husband/father goes through a period where we can only try to touch the feathers . Your time will come too my brother , it will come :)

Thanks, Marty !! I can hardly wait to take these swimming !!

Vic , I know I got it BAD !! It happens every year a few weeks prior to the trip . Watching the water levels ... watching the forecast , trying to anticipate what effects the weather will have on the runs ... or the lack of runs ....
Matters not about the catching !! It's the friendship , the heritage , the landscape , the smell of cedar and crisp air in the morning .... only this river splashes against my waders in a manner that completes my swing . WOW , I need to go fishing ... BAD !!! :chuckle::chuckle:

Mike

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Dude! So rad, my brother! I know that feeling of tying flies in anticipation of a trip. I'm now on the backside of said trip and feeling terrific. I wish the same excitement and success on your trip as I have had with mine! Your Dees are so tasty.

Cheers and blessings!
Adrian

1 - 20 of 22 Posts