Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Still figuring this spey game out and I have a line question, I recently purchased an older 9140-3 rod, seems nice, pretty fast action. I am wondering if anyone using double tapers on anymore
and would a 10 or 11 or ??? be a good fit for this rod.
Thanks,JohnP

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
John,

The 9140-3 was my first spey rod and though I have a ridiculous number of them now it remains a well-loved favourite. I found that the key to this rod was accepting that it was a true 10 weight - not a 9! Once I put the heavier lines on it, it was beautiful.

As for double tapers, they have been pretty much replaced by the longer belly steelhead lines. DTs still work - my first successful casts came with one. However, the modern long belly lines take the best characteristics of the DT and combine it with the ability to shoot line as well.

My favourite line on the 9140-3 is still the Rio 10/11 Accellerator - which is no longer available. I have been meaning to try the Airflo Traditional in a similar weight but just haven't got around to it yet, I imagine it would be perfect.

Enjoy your rod - it is a good one.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Rio 10/11 Accellerator - which is no longer available.

All might not be lost is you want this RIO line. I wanted one for a tip shooting line and was able to get one directly from the factory. Only 'cost you a dime' to find out.
fae

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i've seen a couple shops have accelerator lines left over,search around ,i don't know if it's o-k to post names sooooo!!!

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
Grandspey 8/9....

I own the Sage 9140-3 European action (you're talking about the European and NOT the DS model right?) and like Kush (and thanks to Kush for his encouragement way back when when I was offered this rod at a reduced price and asked around to see what people thought of it) I really LOVE this rod as it is an excellent well rounded rod that has the balls to do anything you want it to including throw heavy tips, but still tackling the finer side of things too, but UNLIKE Kush, I haven't cheated by buying other rods as I just haven't needed to. While I am a schwinger at heart, I find it hard to put this rod down, or justify buying another rod when this rod does it all very well. This all considering how I am a tackle whore and I have a huge appreciation for new gear and trying new things, but I just haven't been tempted enough.

Anyways, my pride in what I own (and what you own now I presume) aside, I think you should have a look at the Rio Grandspey 8/9 for this rod. I have owned this line for over a year now and worked with it extensively in my many hours of casting practice and my time fishing and this line is a great match for this rod. While it is a bit heavier in the forward section due to the grains throughout the length of the line, as much as you feel the grains in the first 50 feet, it will never overload the rod. In fact I can get the whole 90 foot head, plus leader, outside the rod tip to the running line and it doesn't overload at all. In fact the rod seems to come into it's own in this situation teamed with a reverse snake roll. Thus it loads it close and far, but never overloads it. The line, if you cut it for loops, or buy the factory sink tip system, turns over the heavy tips with no issues at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts