Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Switch and Spey rods.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a fishing partner for late February 2005. I've never fished the O.P. and am in the process of planning a trip. I would prefer to stay in a hotel, B&B, etc. Getting a guide for a couple of days wouldn't be out of the question. Fishing a few different rivers would be nice as well.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
I like the Olympic Peninsula because it is loaded with rivers to fish!! I am partial to the Wynoochee River near Montesana and have had good luck there in February (steelhead.) I actually prefer the Wynoochee in late summer as there is usually a healthy run of steelhead heading up the river at that time. Wading access is limited without a boat but is doable. I would recommend a guide with a boat (lots of jet sleds.) to fish as much of the river as possible. There are tons of places to anchor where walkers can't access and those places are prime steelhead holding water. I like to fish the fingers off the main river as I get more takes there (though hooking is not a problem, for me it is landing them! hehehe)

Good luck in your quest. The Wynoochee is one of MANY rivers over there to fish.

Vinnie

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I love the OP in Feb, although it's better in March.

I no longer live out in that vicinity but have many years of trips logged out there. You will have a good amount of fish in the river to cast to in Feb.

My usual trip as a resident would be to take a 1/2 day off Friday and try to get to the Elwha in Port Angeles with enough time to fish the evening bite. This more often than not resulted in a steelhead or two. Then crash in P.A., enjoy a great breakfast at the diner downtown, and drive on to the Sol Duc.

In Feb, the lower Duc would probably be the best bet if it's in shape. Of course there should be fish all through but there wil be big op brutes filtering in with each tide down low. Just look at a map to find spots from way up to mid river and the lower river way down near LaPush Rd. Lots of real estate, easy access. A precious river with natives worthy of our care and respect, treat them well and release them gently.

The Bogechiel and Calawah are right in the Forks area, with the Hoh just to the south. We prefer to stay in the Olympic suites as a group to get the price of lodging way down with great amenities like a full kicthen and separate bedrooms.

Further to the south is the Queets but be prepared for primitive roads and conditions, no amenities there and a cougar paw print here and there to remind you that it's their home not ours.

Wish I could show you around but you really should have an easy time of finding things on the north peninsula that time of year.

Watch for rivers to blow with rains, call dave over at waters west (port angeles) for good info.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Like Juro already mentioned, Dave at Waters West in Port Angeles is a wealth of info on the Forks area rivers and he is also a very good guide who exclusively fly fishes (a rarity on the peninsula) as well as a fine gentleman.

Likewise as Juro mentioned, access on the Sol Duc, Calawah, Bogachiel, Hoh, or Queets is not difficult at all. Of these rivers, the Hoh and Bogey will hve the most fishermen. The lower Sol Duc is a favorite of mine anytime I go to the OP. A good map will let you find many access points. There is also the Hoko River, which is the only winter steelhead stream in WA State that is fly only and it is about an hours drive north of Forks. Very worth while checking it out though and since there is an old railroad grade running next to it, access is simple.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts