Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd take a look at William Olson's website which I hadn't done in a while, and notice it's no longer there. Is William still making reels, or is his list now so long he just decided a website no longer needed? Anyone know? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I was checking out his reels last night too. Wondering the same thing. Does anyone know the current wait time? Last I heard it was about four years.

Nate

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I sent him an email wondering where I was on the list as it has been a bit over 2 yrs and never heard back from him

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I sent him an email wondering where I was on the list as it has been a bit over 2 yrs and never heard back from him
How long ago did you reach out to him?
His website appears on a web search but will not load for me. I get an error message.

Nate

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,449 Posts
It was active a couple weeks ago. I am expecting a reel soon - soon being a relative term with William’s reels.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
William said they are over 36 months right now, so my reel will be somewhere around early October.

·
One more cast...
131 Posts
He increased his prices a few months ago, which was long overdue. Can’t remember the specifics on how much everything increased, but the new prices are listed on the site (when he gets it back up).

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,449 Posts
Prices did go up - for the first time ever I believe.

From memory, new price for a 4” Round G&P with black handle is now $2,000.

·
Registered
Winston Trout Rods, Sage and Burkie Steelhead Rods, Abel, Orvis, Tibor and Islander reels.
59 Posts
I was checking out his reels last night too. Wondering the same thing. Does anyone know the current wait time? Last I heard it was about four years.

Nate
I noticed same! Spoke to Poppy last week at the Red Shed and he said he thought that the wait was about 4 years.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I placed an order with Gary of Vintage Fly Tackle (RIP) and it was supposed to be due (4y) just when he passed away.
I pinged William who moved the order directly with him, paid my deposit and was supposed to have received the reel sometime that year, but that date has come and passed by a long way now.
I contacted him just before Christmas and with luck he will start this week/month on it.

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
Prices did go up - for the first time ever I believe.

From memory, new price for a 4” Round G&P with black handle is now $2,000.
William's website is up and going now. A snip from the website showing G&P versions:

DimensionsApplicationsPrice
4-1/4" O.D. X 1.3" I.W.Designed for big water, heavier lines and multi-sea-winter salmon, the 4¼-inch model balances 9- to 11-weight rods in lengths of 14 to 17 feet.$2,300.00 USD
4" O.D. X 1.2" I.W.An exceptional all-rounder, the 4-inch model balances 8- to 10-weight rods in lengths of 13 to 15 feet.$2,100.00 USD
3-5/8 O.D. X 1.1" I.W.A middle size for single-handed and switch rods 9- to 10- weight and double-handed rods from 6- to 8- weight in lengths of 11 to 13 and-a-half-feet.$1,950.00 USD
3-3/4" O.D. X 1.2" I.W.The 3¾-inch model is an excellent match for 7- to 9-weight rods in lengths of 13 to 15 feet.$2,000.00 USD
3-1/2" O.D. X 1.0" I.W.A superb size for single-handed and switch rods from 6- to 9-weight and double-handed rods from 5- to 7-weight in lengths of 11 to 13-and-a-half feet.$1,900.00 USD

Black plates plus choice of champagne gold frame & spool.

Sealed Disc
with 2:1 multiplier add $1600

For all black add $100

These are William's standard builds above for G&P reels, you need to contact him for any custom work or sizing. I believe there is an up charge on X-wide reels.

Mike

·
One more cast...
131 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wow! Big jump in price. weren't these $1400 about 3 years ago?
Fifty percent increase is severe. Just saying.

Emel

·
One more cast...
131 Posts
Wow! Big jump in price. weren't these $1400 about 3 years ago?
Fifty percent increase is severe. Just saying.

Emel
The big jump in prices was simply because he was way overdue to increase them. He hadn’t changed them in years. If he charged by the hour on these, none of us would be able to afford them. I asked him one time how many hours it takes him to build one, then estimated how much he makes per hour - it was something like $20/hour. That’s just a few dollars more per hour than the kid down the street makes flipping burgers for Wendy’s or McDonald’s - those jobs start at $12-13/hour in many places.

Just a little perspective. These craftsmen aren’t making much money. Most of them do what they do because they have a passion for the craft. Wish I had more money to support them because I sure like what they do, especially William!

·
Registered
280 Posts
The big jump in prices was simply because he was way overdue to increase them. He hadn’t changed them in years. If he charged by the hour on these, none of us would be able to afford them. I asked him one time how many hours it takes him to build one, then estimated how much he makes per hour - it was something like $20/hour. That’s just a few dollars more per hour than the kid down the street makes flipping burgers for Wendy’s or McDonald’s - those jobs start at $12-13/hour in many places.

Just a little perspective. These craftsmen aren’t making much money. Most of them do what they do because they have a passion for the craft. Wish I had more money to support them because I sure like what they do, especially William!
I mean absolutely no disrespect to William. I have handled one of his reels and they are truly works of art. I have tremendous respect for all these craftsmen. William, Joe Saracione, Mark Shamburg, Bob Clay, etc, etc, etc. They are all entitled to charge what they feel is needed. My comment was purely an observation that that it is a big jump from one price point to another. With any long wait time a price increase is expected but in my opinion most would not expect that. Again I’m just being honest in my opinion. I really wish William all success . A big increase didn’t seem to hurt Bogdan when he did it.

Tight Lines

Emel

1 - 20 of 20 Posts