Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I didn´t have too much opportunities to fish with my only spey rod in denmark or norway. I own an older Sage GFL 9126-3, about 4 or 5 years old.
During a casting clinic learning the underhand cast with a loop instructor in denmark, I had the oportunity to cast Loops Yellow Lines. I had the feel, that (underhand)casting the Loop rods is much more easier. Was the main reason the Loop´s were longer (14´ and 15´)?
What do you think about the old Sage in compare with "modern" other rods? Would it a good idea to buy one of the newer spey rods from Loop, Sage or other manufacturers?
Thanks in advance.
Stefan

·
Registered
148 Posts
Stefan - that old Sage rod had (has?) a real reputation... I have not a big experience with it specifically, but beware that most rods can feel hard to speycast if they don't have the right line!

On such demoes, the experts always provide right lines/heads for their rods, and that might be the difference!

Do you use shooting heads or longer spey lines? If you use shooting heads, the head you use might be too light, if you use specialty lines with looong bellys, you might have a too heavy line. Just to suggest something.

Good luck - but you should be able to do well with that Sage!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello Stefan

The 9126 is a hard rod but it works good with shooting heads.
Buy a yellow Guidline head 10/11 and cut it on 30gr it will works good for underhand (speycast).
Best wishes from Germany
Taki

1 - 3 of 3 Posts