Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have a chance to pick up an older gfl 9140-3. Unfortunaltely there isn't much out there on them. I also happen to have a wc 8/9/10 with tips already so I am kind of planning the rod around the line, a little backwards but too late now. Anyone think this line will match well with the rod? Any general impressions on the rod itself compared to some of the newer starter priced rods around the 300 dollar range?
I have been trying to get a idea of the value on one but there just aren't any around to get a good idea.
Hopefully I will get a chance to cast it soon, but since I am new to the spey game I am not sure I wil get much from it anyway.
Any help is appreciated.
JohnP

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The Sage 9140-3 was/is a great rod.

It is a very different animal than the 9140-4. The 8/9/10 might be a little on the light side for this rod. A 9/10/11 is a better line for it because it is a strong, powerful rod and you are new to spey casting. Sage should have kept this rod in production. I think it is a far better rod than the 9141-4. This is the rod I should have bought for my first 2-hander 10 years ago instead of the 9140-4.

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
I have this rod. Its nice when properly loaded. If you are buying it as a learner rod, you'll need some serious grains to get loaded. You'll also need to chase big fish. The largest I've caught on this rod was a 12 lber, and I worried the entire time about pinging the leader. I now reserve this rod for Chinook (if only I fished B.C. steelies....)

For my tastes, the WC 9-10-11 works OK, but a little on the light side. The 8-9-10 will not load that rod at all for me. I'm looking forward to trying a WC 10-11-12 sometime.

For a full floater, I fish a Cortland DT11/12. An excellent line for this rod, for my casting stroke. This line weighs essentially the same as an Accelerator 10/11.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
9140-3 vs 9140-4

The 9140-3 was the Euro action, fast powerful, more of a 10 wt than a 9wt.
The 9140-4 was the Traditional action, full flex all the way down into the corks. More like an 8 wt than a 9 wt.

The reason you don't hear much about the 9140-3 is because they have been out of production for several years and don't show up for sale very often.

><///('>
JD

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thanks for the info guys, i'll am going to give it a try soon and will
borrow a couple lines to try on it.
JP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts