Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
I just "won :devil: ( actually, shamelessy sniped...) an old ABU 12 footer for #9/10 lines.
It looks like one of those early 80s graphites...I know you'll say; " what the hell were you thinking?" and so on, but it reminded me of when I was a kid and I used to droole on the old ABU Svangsta cataloques...good old days.
Anyway, does anyone have fished one of these old sticks?
I would appreciate any info on line weights, profile..the usual yari yari ya:D
Thanks to all, as always,
Emilio.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello White Mouse!
As I, as well as Jacob, come from "the land of ABU" we are born and raised with ABU-rods. But I belive that I might be a bit older than Jacob ( judging by his fondness for Loop... ) and perhaps have a somewhat different wiew...

Back in the sixties and seventies, ABU glassfibre-rods ( both fly- and spinrods ) were at the very top, just as good or better than any Hardy or anything else. When graphite came into play, ABU did not catch on very quickly and never started any production of its own. Instead they imported blanks from different producers and stuck the ABU label on it, resulting in a very strange mix indeed. Some rods were very good, but the vast majority was "crap" as Jacob put it. It is the same story still, ABU does not produce any carbon rods of its own, and most flyrods must be regarded as low budget rods.
When it comes to your 12-footer... A bold guess tells me that it might be one of the "Salar"-series? That is the only 12´ rod I can remember from ABU, and it came in two versions, a 9-10 and a 11-12 weight. It was a glassfibre-rod, manufactured and sold into the early eighties.
Looking at it today it seems extremely strange, but the 9-10 was actually regarded as a very good rod at the time.:hihi:
Even with my most pro-swedish glasses on, I have to agree with Jacob on this one: the Salar 12´ is crap with a capital C... I have tried both versions and they are NOT worth the effort to use as fishingrods.

But on the other hand: ABU used to sell different models in different parts of the world; rods sold in scandinavia were not sold in the US and vice versa, so you just might have stumbled onto something I never heard of... In that case it might be a gem.. But probably not....:eek:

·
Registered
328 Posts
my thoughts has changed over the years and a more mature way of thinking about fishing, gear and life has come to me.:chuckle:

Loop have good gear, but as most companys, that is all. No more no less.:)

ThigtLines

(och du sundray, du kan ju slänga iväg ett PM eller Mail till mig så kan vi prata lite scandinaviskt laxfiske;) )

ps. the abu rods that i have tested (at the price they had, havet seen them on the market for a couple of years) wasent at the time wrong to fish whit, but the rod did not stay i 2 picec as they was from the tackleshop.. :hihi: 3-4-5-6 pices in 1hours of casting :hihi: ds.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow....:hihi:
as I said I bought it because I am a romantic.
When I saw it I could not help but being nostalgic....Thanks guys.
Emilio

1 - 5 of 5 Posts