Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, what an incredible forum this is. The best i've seen so far.
I own a 13' #9/10 Loomis imx, and i'm thinking of getting it a windcutter speyline. This rod are not listed in the Rio recommendations list, so i was wondering if anyone out there have some experience witt this constellation.
These are very expensive lines in Norway, so it would be nice to get it right from the beginning...
Please advice, and please forgive the poor gramatics.:eyecrazy:

Regards

G.J. Ryen

·
Registered
439 Posts
Line

You have one of the better rods that Loomis made, wish I could find one in the states to purchase. Line for that rod RIO Windcutter 9/10 or any thing with similar grain weight.
Leroy....................

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi Leroy,
Thanks for swift answer, but is it the 8/9/10 or the 9/10/11 you're talking about? I was thinking 8/9/10 since the imx tend to flex a lot deeper than the modern rods of today. I just don't wanna overload it.
I totally agree with you're opinion of the rod, i've had a loveaffaire going with that rod over the last 10 - 12 years, and i'm hoping it'll never stop.
Good luck with your search, but i know it will be hard to find any of these rods for sale.
You might want to check out the Slate blank's ment for rodbuilders... I've heard something about them actually being the old IMX.

G.J.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello Catscill ! I dont think you should go heavier than #8-9-10
on the soft IMX 13' . Maybe the #7-8-9 could fit to
:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Line for IMX

Hello Ozzy. Even though the 13' tends to flex all the way down, it still have some power in it. I think maybe ( and i don't really have any experience at all with the Rio lines) that the #7/8/9 line would be a little light, since i occasionally use pretty big tubes and singelhooks in the 2/0 range. Can a 7/8/9 line generate enough energy to pick a fly like that out of the water?:confused:

G.J.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Line

Hi Catskill, The 8/9/10 would be the line of choice for me. When we were using the rod Rio only had a dual line rating. If you have access the line manufactures charts then you can cross reference the grain lengths to all the lines made. An 8/9/10 Rio weighs 650 grains, 9/10 Airflo Delta weighs 630. Good listing for line weights can be found at speyshop.com.
Leroy.......................

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It worked out fine.

I picked up my WC 8/9/10 int.tip at my local "flyfishershop" today, or more accurately, -yesterday.
After a quick stop at work i was able to head for open water to do a few testcasts. This line loads the imx really good, and the rod shoots it effortlessly. It seems to be "right on".
Thank you again for good advice.

I am now eagerly awaiting my midspey 9/10, witch i hope will fit my T&T 1510-5 equally well...

cheers

G.J.Ryen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts