Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I´ve been trying to find old Sage blank, 10150-3 Graphite III European. This was for years my favourite rod together with Loomis IMX 15´10-11, untill it was stolen last summer.
Yes, yes - I have Sage 10151-4 European (and 12 other doublehanders), and it´s ok, but I just like the old one better.
Anyone out there - have You seen this work of art somewhere lately?
FinnSpey

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Try the Madison River Fishing Co. in Ennis, Montana. Use your browser to get their web address. They carry discontinued blanks and rods from the major makers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New rods...

Hi!
Just one day after posting my original message (Sage blanks), I solved my rod-problems for a while: I only needed to buy three rods this time... I got the new Loop Grey Line 15´/ 10 and finally found real jewel for a rod; Sage 14´class 10-11 "brown". But those aside, I also got to try VERY interesting rod: Loop Green Line 11´6´´ class 9. The rod I saw was Loop´s testrod used last summer in their Kola-camp on Ponoi. Rod was fast and accurate and performed just great with short heads. I think it is perfect tool for small to medium rivers and sinking shootingheads.
So, I just had to get one...
Anyway; I know there are Loop-pros among moderators of this site. Have you guys heard of this rod, or is it just specialrod only sold in Scandinavia?
FinnSpey

·
Registered
128 Posts
Finnspey,

I tested the Grey last summer/autumn and I thought it was terribly tip heavy. It didn't balance with the reel it had on (the old large evotec).

Have you cast it? How do you like it (obviously like it but why)?
Not that I'm gonna buy one but just out of curiosity.

-Another Finn-

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shoots like a cannon..

Hi!
I´ve been casting it 3 hours in terrible conditions with many lines and two reels - Loop Evotec LW (light) and old Bringsen Black Shadow (heavy). Lines were different shootingheads and a Rio MidSpey 1011 F and a SA DT11S.
First I must say, that when using shootingheads and underhandcasts, I don´t have any kind of need for balancing rod/reel. Most of my setups are tip-heavy, and for me this is absolutely no problem.
But it´s a different ballgame when I changed to a speylines ( Midspey and a DT-11-s) and traditional single- and doublespey. With heavier reel it was ok, but not with the light one.
This is just matter of personal preference, and I know most fishermen want to have balanced rod-reel combination even with underhandcasts, but as I said, I´m not one of them.
So, why did I buy it: Well, I managed a couple 35-meter casts (underhandcast, Loop Adapted SS for 15-16´rods) with it the first time I took the rod out. It´s action is fast but starts right from the handle (or so it feels), and recoverytime is minimal. This is what I want for my big-water rod normally used with slow- and fastsink shootingheads (Loops Customs and Adapteds). For floaters I have other rods, not as powerfull.
With the MidSpey I managed also a couple of reasonable casts. Remarkable was, that I didn´t need to use much power with the rod - it seems to follow my mind rather than my muscle...

FinnSpey
Ps. "casting it 3 hours in terrible conditions" means River Vantaa in snowstorm, most of the river in full ice - surprisingly I was only flyfisherman one out there...
:hehe:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok.

I don't usually need to balance either. But the one I tested was hard to keep level during the drift. It is possible that the rod I tested was some preproduction model.

I was also considering the possibility of getting to River Vantaa and trying my Blue 13'2'' with a couple of lines. I'll probably wait for the flood to step in before starting to customize my shooting heads for it.

My GLX 15' is also one of those rods that don't seem to be begging for more in terms of power. Incredibly easy to cast. Although, before I learned it, it was an exhausting rod :D.

I'm getting an Airflo Traditional for the Loomis and will see what reel is going to balance it. I'm counting on the Bauer M7.

It would be nice to be able to test cast a MidSpey (among others).

Got anything from Vantaa? :devil:

·
Registered
208 Posts
old spey rod

You should call Gary Anderson Custom Rods (541) 582-4318. If anyone can pull a Sage rabbit out of the hat, he can. If you are interested in a 15 foot GL4 10/11, see me. I custom built this rod because a got a great deal on the blank. Gary did the cork and reel seat. I will take $200, which is what I have in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts