Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever had an old rod that never seemed to really inspire you, but by putting a different line on it the whole world changes?

I have a 9/10 LeCie, 13'7" of broomsticky scandi goodness. But it has been such a picky rod over the years we have come to refer to it as "Mademoiselle" because she turns up her nose at pretty much every line we try on her. Think leather bustier w/ studs. She is demanding.
And even if you get her lined right, the slightest fault in your technique sends her into a huff and she spanks you. Right there on the river, in front of your buddies. And no, I don't like the humiliation.:saeek:

Long story short, this has gone on for quite some time. There's been much fiddling about with Powertapers, Voggs, AFS, Compact Scandis, SA skagits (the longer ones), even some forays into longer bellies that exceed scandi or scandit length heads, but really a pain.

Then, a couple weeks ago, I put an FF45 in 7/8 on her. The dominatrix turned into a glowing freckle-faced farmgirl, and I'm in love. The weight of the line exceeds scandi grain recommendations for the rod, but the length falls into the short spey category and the line speed achieved is astounding. The only thing she asks of me is to "please, give me 18-20 feet of leader, I can't hold an anchor with less". In return, she bombs! BOMBS! and is very forgiving about it too.

So, that's my story. Apologies in advance for the sexist analogy:D

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also tried an 8/9 Vector on this rod, and it went out well, about as well as on my 7/8 Greased Liner, but took effort and concentration to keep the loop consistent. Went to the backing knot, which is hellacious good for a thirteen-and-a-half rod, but too much work to make me a happy camper.

This is going to be my rod for salmon, I think. If necessary, the FF45 can huck 100 gr of sinktip without cutting back; I think we have a winner for silvers.

·
Drags are for Sissys
312 Posts
sad news. :)
I had that rod but sold her because she was a pouty b!tch.
Wish I would have known your findings years ago. Glad you've figured her out.

Yes I have had the same experience. with the TFO 12'6" Lefty Kreh (we all know Lefty don't know crap about spey castng :) Professional Series 8 weight. Put a Guideline Bill Drury 62' 8/9 on it and it turns on.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a shame, those 3-piece LeCies will be collector's items someday.
I like Meiser S rods for floating scandi lines better than any other brand, but that LeCie has so much tip power, it makes getting fullsinks a snap to get out on the lift. Brutal power when properly lined.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whiteman, I think the 7/8 three piece is the sweetheart of the whole bunch, you lucky dog!
I bet the 5/6 would absolutely KILL on that rod, 490-500 gr

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got to keep my mind off my mind, brother. wink.:chuckle:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't hear much about Guideline rods these days.I don't think they worked out that well in North America.Thats too bad,I have a 3 piece 13' 8/9 LPXe that's a rocket launcher with the right scandi line.
Tight Lines
Copsamps

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
sad news. :)

Yes I have had the same experience. with the TFO 12'6" Lefty Kreh (we all know Lefty don't know crap about spey castng :) Professional Series 8 weight. Put a Guideline Bill Drury 62' 8/9 on it and it turns on.
That TFO pro in the 6 weight is my favorite 6 weight to date. Sorry for the semi-highjack Spaz, nice to be reading your colorful posts again! Hope you are feeling well soon.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting you should mention the TFO Pro, SkagitMeister. I had a similar experience with that very rod in 6wt years ago. The TFO Pro, 12'6" for 6, that was a handy, inexpensive, forgiving, and sweet casting rod. I think their retail price started at 249$ when they came out, and I snagged one. Kicking myself for selling it now!

I didn't start the thread to talk about one specific rod, just how a new line can totally bring a rod you "thought you knew" into a whole new dimension. So I'd welcome a hijack-- I'm sure everyone has an example.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts