15´ #10-11 3peice (F18010/11-3 IMX)
13´ #9-10 3peice (F1569/10-3 IMX)

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
IMX rods

Hi, Jacob!

Both rods you mentioned are still very popular here in Finland. Even second-hand IMXs have high prices. I have casted 15-footer and I think it is harder than the new GLX series, extremely ideal for sinking lines. On my opinion the action is progressive and quite fast. You should try shooting heads instead of traditional lines. The only minus is, that they are not 4-piece rods.

Milfly
Finland

·
Registered
21 Posts
Vintage Loomis

Have owned both for many years and love them both - light, powerfull and nice functional uncoated blanks. Built them myself - got the the handle, reelseat, guides and whippings as I wanted. They have caught lots of nice fish.
Even this summer in Norway.

Many rods have been passed on - new will come allong - the Loomis ones stay!

S. Arendrup

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm ok

Im still not serten that i like the old imx more than the glx, i dont think do, no... But the 13´ old imx, oh jeasus....

Allan Bloch (a dane now living in sweden), in Fiskeshopen Mörrum - said that the imx hade softer action than the glx......

·
Banned
103 Posts
Jacob said:
...Allan Bloch (a dane now living in sweden), in Fiskeshopen Mörrum - said that the imx hade softer action than the glx......
He's right, the GLX series is a little faster than the IMX, and a little lighter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
S. Arendrup said:
They have caught lots of nice fish.
Even this summer in Norway.

Wow! Someones got nice fish this summer in Norway!? :confused:
Just kidding - my four weeks fishing in Surna and Gaula wasn´t very succesful; due to lack of water AND fish.
But about IMX / GLX:
IMX doublehanders are fast becoming some kind of cult. Just couple of weeks ago I saw one old, a bit soiled 15´IMX on market; asking price 1200 euros (about 1500-1600 USD). I have one such rod and like it alot, but no way I would buy one with such price.
IMX 15´ was in many ways revolutionary, but nowadays it´s definately "old-school rod". Latest Loops etc are much easier to cast.
Same thing with GLX - fine rod but taperdesign is almost 10 years old - and now we also have even better materials.
FinnSpey

·
Banned
103 Posts
FinnSpey - Though the blank material on the GLX rods may not be "today's" technology, I believe that the performance and speed of the rods rivals that of many current models. The other thing going for the Loomis rods is that they're offered in a few sizes which are next to impossible to find in any other manufacturer's line (as in the 11'6" 8/9 for single-hand lines). Believe me, I was a bit of a skeptic about Loomis rods and whether the performance justified the price until I discovered that they really do fish well... at least, for me. Just saying, I think that the GLX series, as old as they are, are on par with anything currently on the market.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Finnspey - you would need to document such statements about loomis. I doubt many manufacturers use the same rate and quality of graphite in their rods as do G. Loomis in their GLX series - but dont know. I just have the idea that this is what makes these rods perform so well.

What I know - doing comprehensive rod testings of all that is on the market in Scandinavia - the Loomis fly rods come out again and again as superior rods - new rods doesent necessarily perform better, rather opposite.

On the emotional side (and I am usually not emotional about gear) I have an IMX 14 that has followed me around since 1993 and it still is a fantastic fishing rod, as good with the XLT 8/9 as with a sinking shooting head. Who said new tapers are better? It is just something they say to have us buy more rods!

Thight lines, Norwegian

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oops,
I did create some waves...
Yes, I like my GLX 15´a lot, and my IMX also. I´ve had GLX like 7-8 years, IMX longer, and during that time I have also owned Loop Green 15´, Sage 4-piece 15´1´´´Graphite4, Scott ARC 15´ etc. And I still fish with my botj Loomis rods.
This summer I tried out some more rods; My own Loop Greyline 15´, borrowed Blueline 15´and one Henrik Mortensen -series 15-footer, I believe it was Scierra.
All these rods are, in my opinion, easier to cast than my GLX.
Loop Greyline I will use a lot, but I won´t sell away eather of my Loomis´s!
FinnSpey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts