Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Outerhebrides
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Tribe,
I know nothing about old Hardys except they are cool. Are they RHW/LHW, or can they be wound both ways? Obviously, the line guard is an issue. Did they make those with line guards on both "sides" of the reel? I know that the stock reel foot is too long for modern seats, but that is about the extent of my knowledge. Thank you.

· flytie09
3,157 Posts
Several books have been written about their reels. Some models can be switched in their retrieve....many cannot. The Perfect is their trademark reel.

Many of their reels underwent minor changes along the way...that are well documented. Not all reel feet are too big, the circular line guides are not convertible, the finish has changed through the years and many folks can date reels from these key features.

Some good info can be learned here.

A great book to pick up is John Drewett's Hardy Brothers: The Masters, The Men, and Their Reels.

· Registered
466 Posts
I know very little compared to some here, however in my experience most older hardys desired by salmon/steelhead anglers are RHW and that cannot be changed.

The long foot was only used up to a certain year(not sure what year), but I have two reels from the 40's that have no issue on modern reel seats.

If you want to learn about the brand, this is a somewhat dry but relatively interesting documentary on the golden years of Hardy

Hardy reels are beautiful with a great sound. They are a nice gateway into the world of vintage and boutique reels.

· Registered
5,599 Posts
Hi Tribe,
I know nothing about old Hardys except they are cool. Are they RHW/LHW, or can they be wound both ways? Obviously, the line guard is an issue. Did they make those with line guards on both "sides" of the reel? I know that the stock reel foot is too long for modern seats, but that is about the extent of my knowledge. Thank you.
It depends on how old. Majority of the older reels were made to be RHW with few exceptions made LHW on request. Quite few of those remain and command a hefty price. Many newer are reversible with by simply engaging/disengaging the corresponding pawl and with line guides that can be dismounted from the reels and reversed. Others still without line guides.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts