Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I love the old Hardy pre-war reels but I'm unfortunately am a LHW guy. Just feels wrong not having my dominant right hand on the rod. Some of the old Uniquas and St. Johns behave well LHW after flipping the pawl but the perfects are a problem. So for laughs I put a RHW perfect on a rod backwards and tried reeling backwards (clockwise) with my left hand, and to my surprise it felt pretty good. Seems to me this would still be using it a a RHW. Does this sound crazy?

·
Banned
973 Posts
Many of us use old style right-hand perfects left-handed. Scalene shaped pawls can be flipped over and work fine left hand wind. Most MkII's only engage one pawl so that's the one to flip. They did make a few left handers but they are rare and expensive. A right-hand w/line guide reel looks and feels stupid if fished left handed so I wouldn't bother with those. Have several 4" and a 3.5" that work good left handed.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I think you're right that with those reels it would still be used as it is designed, it would just be a matter of getting used to winding totally opposite of what seems "normal" ...:chuckle::chuckle:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts