Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Sean have fun bidding against yourself

I have tried several bids on this reel over what was posted to be told I was underbid over several days. Each time I bid over the amount yet my bid was rejected.

This is exactly why my son and I quit going to the DU dinners and their bids.

Sorry, if you want a real minimum post it, don't play games with us.

I don't have time to play this silly hidden bid game. Enjoy your reel.

No Comment is desired or wanted.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Grampa -

This is the standard bidding model that is used by millions of people on line every day on an auction site called eBay. Sean worked hard to write this code so we could have auctions, keeping the site free for members.

Do I think it's aggravating when I am the bidder? You betcha, but I would guess that eBay's intent with this approach is to allow the seller to have a minimum without revealing it. Why? This promotes bidding, which usually builds up to the minimum. If not, the fervor might never occur, thus the auction might not fly.

When Sean wrote this program, we chose to copy the de facto standard, eBay, and although it's not going to make everybody sing and dance, I appreciate that we have an auction system and Sean's hard work to build it for us.

I also appreciate our sponsors and those who participate in the auctions.

FYI - the reel is not "Sean's" reel, it is donated by Old Florida. Sean wrote the program, and has volunteered to put the auction up for us to bid on. I understand that at first glance it appears that he is the seller, but the seller is the flyfishing forum and the sponsor is our friend Kristen Mustad of Old Florida Reels.

Juro

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Well this is why I don't use Ebay

and why I will try one time to bid on anything on this site. If this happens again, that is it for that auction. I did bid on some AST Fly Lines and that worked well, and I bought one. I got out bid on a couple after my bid was accepted. I have no problem with that.

Sean continues to be the high bidder, and that is why I said enjoy your reel.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My comment is this:

Tough. That is how reserve bid auction systems work all over the world. I find it incredible that for a reel someone will most likely get for less than retail with no tax or shipping costs that anyone would have the balls to complain. Also considering I had to spend a couple weekends and lose fishing time( which I rarely get ) to custom write this auction software for the site.

I bid $350. Until that was beat I remained the winning bid at $1 over what your bid was. So if you bid $340 the new high bid would be me at $341. You would have to bid $351 to be the new high bidder. Pretty much standard with how ebay works which is what we modeled it after since everyone is pretty familiar with it.

We have a reserve to protect our investment in the reel. If the auction for some reason did not generate interest we would not want to end up giving it to someone who had such a low bid that it hurts the site by not enabling us to pay the bills. Our reserves are very fair. For instance this reels reserve was $150 under what the 12 goes for at a fly shop. You ain't getting that on ebay. We do this to help the site and also try and pass a little savings onto the members as a thank you for helping us out. Usually it is a win-win situation.

Oh and in the future feel free to just PM me and I can explain how it works rather than publicly whining on the board. Makes it easier on everyone.

Looks like GregD was able to figure it out and he is currently winning with a bid of $375. Looks like someone is getting another deal on the speypages/flyfishing forum.

http://flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/auction.php?s=&auction_id=76&action=show_auction

Now back to do the daily site maintenance before I can start my real job,

-sean

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Whoa! I just took a peek at it a while back and GregD was cruising with the 8th bid... then all of a sudden there is 20 bids and zhunter is the captor of this fine catch! Man I missed all the action in the end! :Eyecrazy:

Special thanks to zhunter and Kristen Mustad of Old Florida Reels, our newest sponsor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts