Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Spey-sized Nautilus just arrived. With 250 yards 30# GSP plus another 70 or 80 yards of 30# Dacron this reel still holds a 10/11 XLT! Tons (miles?) of capacity, and very light and pleasing to the eye. I'm sending it north for a test on Skeena steelhead--watch for a review later this fall!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Old Florida reels are great!

I have been using a Nautilus for salt water fishing all of this season and can report that they are really good reels. Solid and sexy reels.

Look forward to reading about the spey sized reel.

G

·
Dana. I understand that there are no Loop reps in the USA and no Loop lines can be purchased in USA shops. Is this true or is someone kidding me.
Since the best overhead casting lines are Loop heads, I suggest you get moving and flood the USA market with enough Loop heads to educate the Yanks to what goes on in the DH overhead world.
I have a TFO 12'x12# TiCr for playing with and will run a Loop 8/9 adaptive head on it. Rather impressive bit of gear, very fast taper, very hunky butt and looks quite nice. I will compare it with my Loop Blackline 8/9 by casting a T40 SA tungsten sinker on both.
Cheers Max

G

·
Max,

That's not quite right. I'm not aware of any reps for Loop, but I know an effort was made a couple of years ago to set up a rep network. Now that Rajeff Sports will be the new USA distributor that should change. As far as lines not being available in US shops, that must be the choice of each shop. Certainly the lines were and are available to every Loop dealer. I can usually get any Loop line I need without any significant wait. If the shops don't stock them it must be because there hasn't been enough demand up to this point. I would think that at least a few of the "spey" shops out West that are Loop dealers would carry a few, if not more. I would expect a lot more push this way from Rajeff Sports as Tim and some on his staff are far more knowledgeable about speyfishing than the previous distributor.

G

·
Well when I suggested that the right lines for a 12x12 TFO might be loop adaptives I was told thay were not available in the USA, and if one couldn't buy them whats the point of talking about them. But seems it might change.
Seems that people forget that if you use a full length WF line, long belly or not, 120 feet or not there are limits to how far you can actually cast the things.
But I guess thats the casters problerm. Cheer Max

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Max,

We can definitely get our hands on loop products here. I have not messed with them yet for overhead casting and I agree with a regular WF line you are going to hit a brick wall as far as distance is concerned. They are nice though if presentation is a concern and you really do not need to cast real far.

Was curious how long are the adaptive heads you are using. It seems they may be a little shorter than I would like. Seems ~38ft is the best head length at least as far as the CND rods are concerned.

Thanks for you insight,

-sean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts