Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of them?
How do they compare to other makes?
What ones are good / Bad?

From William

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have one - a #44 - it's an all right reel just don't drop it on the beach and expect the same performance as in the shop...great for a boat user or non-dunking applications...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Old Florida

I own an Old Florida 66. Given the use of GSP backing and a 6/7 wt Midspey, you can get it spooled up. My objection is the drag, more specifically, the lubricant on the cork drag. Mine came with a lubricant that didn't work well when the reel got wet, which was quick. It grabbed badly and it squeaked. OF instructed me to use denatured alcohol to get the old stuff off, and had me go to a mix of powder graphite and Super-Lube (1:1). Still squeaks when wet. Oh well. Other than that....it appears indestructable.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
drag lube

Jon Bauer of Bauer fly reels recomends using Neatsfoot oil on cork drags. It is a natural product. I forget what animal it comes from but the jist of it is that it is actually toe jam.:hehe:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, and thanks, but OF used neets foot oil before going to the Super-Lube and powdered graphite mixture. Another thing, I didn't find OF to be the nicest folks to deal with. They wanted me to send my drag back so they could put the new mix on it. They wanted to charge me $10 for a package of the mixture. It's steelhead season, sure I'm going to send the reel back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts