Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sage TCR 15ft, 10wt got here yesterday (Friday) wow great first impressions. This is like my other one-handed TCRs -- quality all the way. This is my first two-hander, when I strung her up it seemed to go on forever. She's set up as a overhead rod. First casts were enjoyable, still a newbie, I was able to hit 80 -90 feet after just a few tries. Timing and line control are what seem to be the learning curve. I'm still learning when to let the line go out. A quick question. When overheading, do you just release and let the line do its thing, or do you try to slip the line through the fingers? So far, I just let her go. I was casting a Rio Scandinavian Versitip Head with the intermediate tip. For fun, I hooked up a 400 grain Big Boy as a tip. This is an additional 26 ft rather than the 15 ft tip and much heaver. After a couple of goof ups the big boy seemed to fly just fine though I did have to bring more of the head within the guides. As I'm new to this my standard for a good cast was a straight leader on the landing. The Big Boy seemed to do well. I know that the addition of 400 grains is much greater than the standard 150 grain tips. Other than a modified casting stroke, it sure seemed that the rod handled the extra weigh with ease. This rod will throw some tight loops. I'm real happy. Hunter

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Great! Sounds like what you needed.

How tall are you and how would you describe yourself as a good athlete?

The reason I ask, is it seems that the tall casters and good athletes do great with the long and very fast action rods.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Physical condition -- humm. I would say overall above average. I spend a lot of time hunting behind bird dogs, and bow hunting. I kayak, mostly fly fish. I'm 5'10'' and about 170 lbs. Our country around here is mountains. I must admit that I will need to work on the Spey muscle memory, it is different form one-handed. I cast and retreived the big rod for about and hour, not much time really, but I was not even near worn out -- I wished I had some fish to chase! You know its funny I'm sure that physical condition has some role, yet I know that form and style play a more important part. The best casts I made were ones that felt effortless -- you know the ones. Hunter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts