Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone here likes getting wild on their week side with a snake roll or 2. I found myself really getting in the groove last week doing some off shoulder casts with my 6128 burkie and it felt great.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Everything I do off-shoulder, I do cack-hand--even a snake roll.

When fishing this spring in a ridiculous down-river wind (river left), I had no choice but to "create" something to get the line out there. I did...and got two fish. Go figure.

Being the average caster that I am, it certainly wasn't pretty, but it got out there, and fished.

Without the help from Dan, and a few other gents from our local casting club, I wouldn't even have had the stones to attempt such a cast a year ago.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I had no trouble with the Circle C with my left hand up, but the snake and single spey are coming hard. It is mainly needing more practice to get rid of the strange feeling encountered while casting left hand up for a righty.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I actually do crack-handed snake roll better than regular for some reason. I use it all the time with longer lines when not doing a single or want a larger change of angle. I can easily snake roll to 90 degrees, usually without hitting myself in the back of the head!

·
Registered
Meiser 13689, Burkie 6128
54 Posts
In general I am OK on the cackhanded side but I have not tried a snake roll. Instead, I am trying to learn to cast left hand up instead of cackhanded. So far, I am surprised. It is going reasonably well. No seizures, haven't lodged a hook in my face. I'll stick with double spey and snap T for now. Snake roll when I start to feel cocky and need to be brought back down to reality.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,714 Posts
In general I am OK on the cackhanded side but I have not tried a snake roll. Instead, I am trying to learn to cast left hand up instead of cackhanded. So far, I am surprised. It is going reasonably well. No seizures, haven't lodged a hook in my face. I'll stick with double spey and snap T for now. Snake roll when I start to feel cocky and need to be brought back down to reality.
Just wait for a day with a strong downstream wind then fly at it 😎

·
Registered
3 Posts
This may sound crazy but start with Lefty Kreh singlehand rod casting practice, but do these with your left hand. This will allow you to start guiding the tip of your rod with your left hand and adding power to your cast double-hauling with your right hand. Once you get better with that switch over to the Spey and add the bottom hand for power and off to the water you go!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts