Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since the season ended abruptly with hot weather, I am shifting to other things to keep me out of the public houses. I have been thinking of making a curly maple display case for a while and started on it a couple weeks ago. I have one of the two fish done for the front. The circle in the center will be a carved S handle reel. The hinges will be sculpins! 馃榿
I鈥檒l post pics as I progress.
This is the only way I will make it between trips to Montana this summer....

Registered
Built some cabinets recently with flame maple drawer fronts. I was terrified about screwing up the finish, but it came out great. Can鈥檛 wait to see your finished project!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Built some cabinets recently with flame maple drawer fronts. I was terrified about screwing up the finish, but it came out great. Can鈥檛 wait to see your finished project!
I use torrified maple (also called roasted or carmelized). It is heated in a vacuum at 600 degrees and it imparts incredible color and chattoyance (the 3D aspect of the waves for those who don鈥檛 live for curly maple). You just put boiled linseed oil on it and it is perfect every time. The table under the bow is torrified broad leaf maple. No stain, just BLO.

Registered
Wow - amazing how it both makes the rays pop, but also shows the grain. Beautiful! I鈥檝e had some customers that used torrified softwoods, but hadn鈥檛 seen it done with hardwoods besides alder. Very nice!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow - amazing how it both makes the rays pop, but also shows the grain. Beautiful! I鈥檝e had some customers that used torrified softwoods, but hadn鈥檛 seen it done with hardwoods besides alder. Very nice!
Interesting fact: if you torrify Ash, it becomes almost impervious to wood rot.

I have worked out a custom stain for regular maple, but it is never quite as brilliant as the torrified wood. As I get older, I have less tolerance for almos-good-enough solutions. so I just bite the bullet and pay for the best wood. buy once cry once.

As cor "chattoyance" i really do not get to use that word frequently enough...its a great word. French and everything. ITs a mother to achieve with normal maple. I had to read some 100 year old books to figure out the trick, and it requires a lot of labor. but worth it if I get to use it in a sentence 馃榾

Registered
Beulah switch, OPST micro skagit w/ Marquis, Echo DH w/ Alex Martin
This is so awesome. Progress is great and anticipating next phases. I have been watching videos and considering attempting to make some chainsaw carvings of trout (zero prior experience). I am sure they will be crude, but we'll see.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You should go for it. You would be surprised how easy it is to carve with power tools like chainsaws. I use a Foredom for most of my carving mostly for control. But for the woods I prefer- rock maple and black locust- it is the only way to avoid stripping the chisel every 5 minutes.

Do it! Make sure you share pics with me too!

Registered
If you aren鈥檛 using a lancelot carver, you are not a true carver. a chainsaw has nothing on it. Ha ! Only kidding. Sweet project, those little sculpins are really cool. Very nice work !

Registered
You need to show how those sculpins are hinges which is pretty neat, I don鈥檛 think most who look at the photos realize that.

Premium Member
Diggin' it!! I am kind of guessing you're the type that says "yeah, I can do that"! Keep the photos coming.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts