Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so far I have stumped everyone I have talked to about this. I'm wait to hear back from Hatch but figured I give it a whirl here.

My 1 year old Hatch Finatic 7+ has developed an odd "screech" to it when stripping line off the reel. It started last week and seems to only do it when the temps are below 45ish (F) and the drag is tightened atleast 1/2way.

I have checked all the obvious things like sand/dirt/gunk between the spool and frame, I cant find any metal to metal contact so nothing is bent, not that I think you could bend a Hatch with out running it over with a truck.

Doesnt make the noise when retrieving line and truely seems temp dependant. Drove from fishing (making noise) to my home fly shop with reel in my truck and wouldnt make the noise. Parked truck overnight with reel in truck and it made the noise when it was cold, again drove to the shop and no noise, LMAO. :confused: Reel feels and works like normal otherwise.

Anyone have any idea or similar issues???

Thanks
J-

·
Registered
29 Posts
hatch noise

One of my Hatch reels made the same sound; it didn't affect the drag's performance but the sound was annoying. It was caused by a defective seal on the drag. Hatch replaced the seal under warranty quickly, and with no questions asked. It has worked flawlessly since.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of my Hatch reels made the same sound; it didn't affect the drag's performance but the sound was annoying. It was caused by a defective seal on the drag. Hatch replaced the seal under warranty quickly, and with no questions asked. It has worked flawlessly since.
Cool thanks for the quick reply. Ill send it in new week after I get back from the Catt.

J-

·
Registered
225 Posts
I find my Hatch reel tightens up in the cold. Never got the screech sound though.
The Hatches are now for tropical and summer springs.
Click and pawl seems to be the best cold weather option.
-10c on my home river this morning.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Diagnosing mysterious mechanical sounds used to be the specialty of Tom and Ray, the Car Talk guys on NPR. Alas, Tom just died this week. RIP.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got a reply from Hatch and they had me remove the drag unit to check to see if there was any moisture in there and there was. Dried it out over night and no noise. Moisture looked more like condesation as there was very very little vs leaking seal or anything.

J-

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Hatch drag cassettes are not truly "waterproof". They are what's classified as "sealed". I've actually had two Hatch reels fail on me...which most people think is highly unusual.

If you do own a Hatch reel, you need to be quite diligent about removing the cassette and making sure it's dry. If you fish in high moisture environments, it's quite likely that condensation will find its way into the cassette and begin causing issues with the roller bearing or the plates.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The Hatch drag cassettes are not truly "waterproof". They are what's classified as "sealed". I've actually had two Hatch reels fail on me...which most people think is highly unusual.

If you do own a Hatch reel, you need to be quite diligent about removing the cassette and making sure it's dry. If you fish in high moisture environments, it's quite likely that condensation will find its way into the cassette and begin causing issues with the roller bearing or the plates.
+1 been there done that. I had the same issues with the sealed drag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts