Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since moving to Sweden last July , I've seen some Spey rods from some unfamilar makers. If you know anything about them let us all know.
Bob Church from England/ Tweed side 15' #10/12
Kingfisher from?/ Green hurricane 14' #10/11
Kunnan from Japan/ Classic 96, 14' #9/10
Finally, the one I'm most interested in,
Taiga Outdoors/Kinetic Alta 12'3" # 8-9
Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Older rods

When looking around do you ever come across any Lamiglas Spey rods, in particular a IM 149, a 14' 9wt? Have one know and would like to possibly get another. The action is very fast, will handle some of the new lines we have now, such as the Grande Speys, Airflo's and XLT's.
Can't help about the other rod's listed.
Leroy..........................

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't say I have

Lamiglas is a brand not seen here. Thay don't have the connections I guess. I'll explain.
G Loomis is sold alongside rods from Guideline. guidelineflyfishing.com In fact, they tout their LPX two-handed series has the same type and taper as the GLX. In know G Loomis sends blanks to Canada to be assembled there. They do it to escape the high import tax. They could be doing the same thing here.
Then theres Bios a huge Swedish tackle comglomerate. Daiwa, Pool 12, Scientific Anglers, are all sold by these guys. Pool 12 makes some very nice speys. Just as nice as St. Croix or better. New rods go for about 40-70 bucks less. They too have a top of the line titanium spey made with an American blank. By who I couldn't say. Daiwa speys were reviewed on the Spey Pages site and found to be very good. I've seen them here new for half the price of a GL3.
St. Croix, Sage and Scott are also here but only by about 6-8 shops in all of Sweden. Sages are coming through via Germany.
Great deals on Hardys and Bruce & Walker can also be had.
Did you also know Shakespeare and Zebco make spey rods too.
I'm going to a spey/fishing course in about 2 weeks on the Emån River for sea run brown trout. Some of the fish get up to 20lbs. I hope to try out some of these less know rods and report on it later.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Lambchop - I assume you are going to Pelle Klippinge's spey school at Emsfors?! - he's a great, calm swede who has courses with the finest reputation! You should really look forward to it! I should add as well that few, if any knows that river better than him, and he also has a fantastic catch record, both on Em and in many Norwegian rivers.

Those others of you - See his page at http://www.cinclusc.com/speycast/

Best regards from Norway

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's Right

Yeah, I'm going to be on the Em River the 4-7th of April. Hoping the weather stays nice down here till then.
About Pelle, I kinda got the impression he was sort of reserved from the talks I had with him on the phone. Have you taken his class or fished with him?
Also what sort of rod do you use for lax?
Och HEJ! från Sverige.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Pelle is a calm or "lugn" as they would say in Sweden and might sound a bit reserved on the phone. But don't worry. It is not without reason all his courses are booked.

I use Loomis GLX/IMX, Scott SAS and S3 rods mostly for the salmon fishing that I do. The Scott S3 is a one-hander. The others 13 - 14 ft twohanders, set up with shooting heads around 13,5 meters lenght of different types (F - F/S - I - S3 are the most used). According to the terminology at this page most Scandinavians do "underhand casts", a variant of a Single spey.

Regarding the weather at the Em - you should note that the seatorut never bite better than during a late season snowfall! Be prepared!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whatta Cannon

Was down at the local rod shop today picking up some last minute things needed for my Emån trip. Anyways thay have these new Guidelines in. Both a 14' 9-10 and a 13' 8-9wt. Both are 4 piece rods and are from their COOL WATERS line. Nice Rods with down-locking smoke colored reel seat and single foot snakes. Blanks are a smoky midnight-blue.
They let me take it down to a nearby park and lawncast it with one of the employees. It had a LOOP shooting head line on it. I'm not familiar casting a setup like that, but with a the quick show by the fly guy I boomed out about about 95-100ft with ease. Incredible! Nice through action with out being whippy. I did try single speying but the line didn't like it. I think with the right line the rod easily could handle traditional casts.

·
Flyfishing Camp Cook
122 Posts
Hey Lambchop

Have you seen those Kunnan's for sale? I only ask because I love to fish them. Do you know how much they sell for? I've been trying to find a kunnan spey, just to have. Don't care if I never fish it. I can't find them at all in the US, though I use their baitcasting rods for fishing steelhead.

So, if you could find out the cost in US dollars, and if you can get ahold of one, I'd appreciate it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts