Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to get a little fancy today and try one of my Dee wing flies. In keeping with the black/olive color scheme that has been working for me this week I selected out this one I tied last winter. Tied on an A.J. #1.5 blind eye hook with some legal South American heron I secured from my local fly shop.

10 minutes into my day this beauty smashed it on an 80 foot cast just after it touched the water. The Hardy Bougle' started screaming as the fish went into a series of twisting jumps. I was able to bring it in for a quick photo and measurement. 27" female. Thought I was off to a good start but that was my only tug of the day.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Did you say legal South American heron? From an American fly shop? Please, do provide some specifics!

Sweet fly and beautiful fish, by the way.

·
Lucky Bastard
699 Posts
Very Nice Paul!! Did you get it low as usual? Was about the boulders Monday. I broke out a Skagit for the first time in a couple of years and tossed some big stuff all afternoon with no luck. I only saw 2 Kings blow by,and 1 Steel jump out about 10 feet in front of me.Will be out in the AM and give it another go.

Scott:smokin:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very Nice Paul!! Did you get it low as usual? Was about the boulders Monday. I broke out a Skagit for the first time in a couple of years and tossed some big stuff all afternoon with no luck. I only saw 2 Kings blow by,and 1 Steel jump out about 10 feet in front of me.Will be out in the AM and give it another go.

Scott:smokin:
Thanks Scott! Yes I was pretty low in the river. The Pinners are coming out it full force now so its going to get tough to find good swinging water that isn't clogged with bobbers. Boulders is my favorite up river spot! Good luck! :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
@hooked..if you cant find a fish at Boulders/Ace, I highly recommend working the run below b/t trestle and refrigeration, I believe they refer to it as The Snag?anyway Park at North trestle lot on North bank and walk north bank upstream till you round the sharp bend (fox Hollow) and start there. beautiful water for a intermed or 2.5' MOW

1 - 12 of 12 Posts