Spey Pages banner

Oconto River Spey Co Mini Clave Nov 6th

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  speycoreels 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was thinking of having a small meeting on the Oconto River Nov 6th 2010 at 10:00 am at the Stiles boat landing on Van Lanenen Road.
This would be a great opportunity for you all to come and see the new reels, the sink tips and a few of the new spey rods. I also have most, if not all, of the new Ballistic Spey Lines for your sampling from snake river outfitters these alone will be worth the drive. The weather is going to be in the 60's and the river is flooded now and will be on the drop, so a few fish may be in as well. I was thinking I would stay for a few hours maybe until around 1:00 P.M. maybe longer if there is interest, and help if you had any basic spey casting questions. I am no master blaster caster for sure, but I can help show you that spey casting is not just for Jedi Masters and is easy; just takes practice. The meeting will be informal, just a fun to get together before old man winter kicks us square in the teeth.

#3 ·
Hey Thats O.K. Its on Sat, Nov 6th :) The 6th was the Wednesday in Oct. I would have to agree, maybe if we get enough interest or not ,we maybe could have something every year. I wanted to have it in the camp ground in town. It would be an ideal location, but they closed OcT 27th. This was just a last minute decision I had a few people asking to come and see the reels,and always a good idea to just head the north woods in my opinion.

Tim
The Spey Company
www.speyco.net

#5 ·
No thats cool, times just flies by. I got your P.M. asking about the low numbers of fish on these streams to the north. Its true the numbers of fish are way way down. On Sat I was hoping to discuss getting a private steelhead stocking program together.

If anyone reads this that has input on getting around the road blocks that the dnr is putting on me. They seemed less than receptive about the idea. He said we could, but gave a list of fish that I could not buy? Nice.

Importing fish eggs would be cheap, but risky with VHS and god knows what other crap floating around in the stocking ponds these days. After talking with private ponds in Wisco. that sell fish. They just chuckled at me stating I could just see head lines now "PRIVATE STOCKING CLUB HAS OCONTO RIVER STEELHEAD NUMBERS UP BY 200%". Its not , I guess in the DNRs best interest.

I know we could be more cost effective. It's true that I personal very limited time to head up the idea. I need a ground man that would know the ins and outs of fish Bio and would have the time. I would help fund raise.

My idea is to stock smaller fish like 1" to 2" ,but in very large numbers in Oct when the water will be cold and getting colder instead of spring when the water will be like a bath in few short weeks. Letting nature sort out the weak fish. I know steelhead stocking in the Fall You heathen! I know they spawn in the spring. The DNR stated that they tried this is the Branch river and it did not work. But they stocked in the spring and I am sorry thats not a real river,, that River is a creek at best,, and is? well not good for the support of life forces in general.

I would like to hatch the eggs from the DNR donated great lakes steelhead eggs. With the sportsmen being in charge of foot work, and the DNR would be the quality control. I know we could get these rivers back on the right track if we could all just work together.

Can of worms now fully opened.

Tim
The Spey Company
www.speyco.net

#6 ·
Honestly, as much as I hate to say this, the project would get more done quicker, and at less cost, if the DNRs and paper chasers were avoided 100%.

It wouldn't be that hazardous to the ecosystems, I mean, come on. Heaven forbid we should disrupt the sucker and creek chub populations.
Stock the rivers that used to be stocked, with the type of fish that used to be stocked, in numbers that exceed what used to be stocked. 100 bucks a man, and I bet that lips would be sealed 3 years from the stocking date !!!!

We wouldn't want to try and trail blaze here. I would be willing to put up some time, some work in the field, and some $$$.

But I think that if this idea truly grew legs, a careful meeting or two would need to be held, (maybe we should all wear hoods and dark glasses) and an under the radar blog created. Just to keep it away from the man.

#7 ·
Hey I would agree. I think we should be allowed to get fish from the DNR steelhead stocking run for free in the spring. Then rise them in a private pond until Oct then release them.Very simple , very cheap. They say "none would live at that young age"? great so let us put in five or six hundred thousand and see.
I would feel best if the DNR looked them over before we released them. I would hate to do harm in any way. Maybe instead of the Oconto? The upper Menomonee river would be a better choice? Then maybe we can work with Michigan as well a Soo strain would be good. These new fish passing gates on the lower river will be very cool. It will open 17 miles of really great swinging water and a ton of spring creeks and smaller rivers. Maybe this system would have natural fish? all We can do is hope this last point would be the case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.