Spey Pages banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to purchase an Outbound line(s) for the Sage 6126, and TnT 1107.
which weight should I go for?

I know, Grampa, you are using a 11wt with your 6126...is it not tooheavy for OH-casting?

till now I used for both rods a SA short head 6/7, and sometimes for the 1107 some 8or 9wt wf lines...

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have both the 1107 and 1307 and they both work very well with the 11 wt floater. i have used up to 15' of t-14 off the end with great results and also with a 15' intermediate tip and everything in between. this is mainly spey casting but i have overhead cast with the lighter tips and it is impressive for distance. this 4 sizes over the rods rating seems like a good formula as i have cast the #12 ob on the 1208 T&T and the 1408 Scott ls2 and even with their considerably different actions they both seemed right on. now we just need them to make a 13-15 weight floater. imho the most underrated "spey" line on the market.

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
11wgt is the one for spey casts so far...

Wow, I think I just fell deeper in love with my 6126...not that I ever stopped loving her :D I just took a few test casts in the river behind the house with the Outbound 11wgt floater on a Ross BG 6 and this line combo rocks. I can't wait to actually fish it where I can really shoot some line.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm using an OB 10 on my 6126, and I've been really happy with it. I'm not a very good caster, but 60-70 footers are effortless. I have trouble managing to shoot more than 25 feet or so of running line, though.

I use the line mostly as a pure floater, but it also has no problem casting the sinking leaders made by Airflo or Rio. I haven't tried sink tips or T-14.

I've made a few attempts at overheading this line, but I get bad tailing loops. I've been told that you can't punch the rod, and should really slow your stroke down. If you hit the button though, it flies!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Overhead casting with 6126 and OB WF 11F

skeg said:
I would like to purchase an Outbound line(s) for the Sage 6126, and TnT 1107.
which weight should I go for?

I know, Grampa, you are using a 11wt with your 6126...is it not tooheavy for OH-casting?...
Using Simon's Kiss the water technique where I roll cast the head, leader, tippet and fly, and start my back cast for my overhand cast as soon as the fly, the leader, and some of the line hits the water, the 6126 in my old hands has zero problem with this line and a OH cast. In the hands of a younger and more skilled caster, the line might not be long enough with a medium to heavy aerodynamic fly.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Rio and Simon are you listening?

BLACK FRANCIS said:
I have both the 1107 and 1307 and they both work very well with the 11 wt floater. i have used up to 15' of t-14 off the end with great results and also with a 15' intermediate tip and everything in between. this is mainly spey casting but i have overhead cast with the lighter tips and it is impressive for distance. this 4 sizes over the rods rating seems like a good formula as i have cast the #12 ob on the 1208 T&T and the 1408 Scott ls2 and even with their considerably different actions they both seemed right on. now we just need them to make a 13-15 weight floater. imho the most underrated "spey" line on the market.
Rio and Simon are you listening: "now we just need them to make a 13-15 weight floater. imho the most underrated "spey" line on the market."

Black Francis, I'm in total agreement with you re Rio making and selling OB 13-15 WF Floaters. The OB imho is the most under rated spey, skagit and all around line on the market for our lighter weight two handed rods.

Since, I'm an old grampa, :rolleyes: who isn't that agile, strong nor athletic anymore, I add 5 or 6 weights to the rod weight to get the best OB to try for my rods. So my 9 weight TCR or Meiser 9/10 switch rod should work with a 14 to 15 weight OB WF floater. My Sage 7141, the Barry Bonds 7 weight Rod on roids , would probably work better with a 13-14 weight OB WF Floater.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
If you guys want that heavy why not just throw a floating tip on a skagit line or get a full floater skagit line???? Same type of taper and IMHO the skagit lines are better all around than my outbounds for overhead and spey work. RIO already is making what you want....

-sean

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sean it's not that it's that heavy it is really just a shooting head without the loops. the 12 (510 gr) is good for an 8 weight and it would be nice to have one for the 9 as well. the skagit line is level in the floater and level and too short in the original. this line has a taper. i guess that's why they make so many, everyone likes different stuff.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I want to try the Skagit Floating Lines before I buy one

sean said:
If you guys want that heavy why not just throw a floating tip on a skagit line or get a full floater skagit line???? Same type of taper and IMHO the skagit lines are better all around than my outbounds for overhead and spey work. RIO already is making what you want....

-sean
I want to try the Skagit Floating lines on my TCR 9129-4 and 7141 before I buy one to see if they work for what I want to do re some long range casting along our Delta shore lines for Salmon and Stripers. I will be trying to cast big flies while standing on rocks with zero wading and minimal backcast areas. I can do that now with my Sage 5120 or 6126 or Meiser's 5/6 Switch rod in similiar situations for smaller fish.

As you know, I have been a Skagit fan since Bob Pauli and I went to the Russian River shortly after the launch of the Skagit lines. I own the 450, 550 and 650 and used them and liked them.

However, my Skagit 450 is collecting dust because I now use the OB 10 or 11 WF Floaters with my 5120, 6126 and Meise's 5/6 Switch Rod. I can use a smaller and lighter reel with my OBs, and the OBs offer greater ease of casting with a wider range of different casts. My Skagit 550 will probably be collecting dust now that I have moved up to the 650 for my 7141.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Sean it's not that it's that heavy it is really just a shooting head without the loops. the 12 (510 gr) is good for an 8 weight and it would be nice to have one for the 9 as well. the skagit line is level in the floater and level and too short in the original
The outbound is only tapered in the front 15 feet with a very short back taper. My full skagit floater is 42 feet long and the front 15 is tapered. I am not just using the 27' looped skagit line. There are no loop connections and it is close to the same taper as the outbound.

Now I am not sure if you can get these from RIO or not. Mine were from Bob Pauli who had them custom made. I think you can though.

Anyway just another option. I use my 450 skagit that has a 150 grain 15' integrated floating tip on it for my 9 wt rods.

-sean

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
The Skagit floaters are available to buy

sean said:
The outbound is only tapered in the front 15 feet with a very short back taper. My full skagit floater is 42 feet long and the front 15 is tapered. I am not just using the 27' looped skagit line. There are no loop connections and it is close to the same taper as the outbound.

Now I am not sure if you can get these from RIO or not. Mine were from Bob Pauli who had them custom made. I think you can though.

Anyway just another option. I use my 450 skagit that has a 150 grain 15' integrated floating tip on it for my 9 wt rods.

-sean
Sean, below is a link to a good write up re the Skagit Floaters from Mark Bachman.

http://www.flyfishusa.com/lines/rio-skagit-floater.htm

·
Registered
869 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Pictures inserted and there is a big difference between OB and Skagit Heads

BLACK FRANCIS said:
rio's website shows both skagit lines as essentialy level. definitly no 15' front taper mentioned anywhere. if i had any skills and could post a pic, rio's website has the taper diagrams and specs all laid out. acording to their site these lines have totaly different taper configurations.

skagit:

http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/flylines_prodpage.asp?product=21662&useMet=0#chart

OB:

http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/flylines_prodpage.asp?product=21713&useMet=0#chart

There is a tremendous difference between the heads of the Rio Skagit and the Rio Outbound.

Casters who have the longer rods and use power strokes probably prefer the Skagit lines. Those of us with the shorter rods and less powerful strokes probably prefer the Outbounds.

The one situation, where I prefer the Skagit lines is when I am trying to cast into a really strong wind right into my face and my cast. My Sage TCR 9129-4 and the 7141 often can over come severe head on winds with the Skagit lines. With my 6126-3, the Skagit 450 will enable me to cast into a severe wind or cross wind that impact my Outbound WF 11 Floater.

The differences in the heads is why many of us would like to see heavier weight floating OB lines to use with our heavier two handed rods. Those of us, who like the OB lines in the lighter rod weights, will probably like the OBs in the heavier rod lengths.

I probably need a full floating Skagit line or two to have in my quiver a line capable of casting into and busting through heavy in my face winds. I just don't want to buy any without trying them first.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Well if you looked closely you would notice that the skagit diagram is for the 27' head that one attaches tips to.

I have attached that taper of the skagit floating taper from the new catalog. The floating taper is different from the skagit line and has more of a back taper and a front taper. The weight is a little farther back in the head which in my mind makes spey casting a little easier with these heads.

RIO just discontinued making the 13 and 14 wt outbound lines all together so you guys are not going to get a floating version anytime , if ever. All I was trying to say is these heads do a good job for a floating shooting head and I use them alot out here in the salt for overhead and spey casting work. They are worth trying out.

Casters who have the longer rods and use power strokes probably prefer the Skagit lines. Those of us with the shorter rods and less powerful strokes probably prefer the Outbounds.
That does not really make a whole lot of sense to me. Skagit lines are all about no power stroke...

-sean

Attachments

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Thanks Sean. This might be the ticket.

Re power casters with the Skagit. Some of the casters I saw at Speyorama this May with the Skagit lines and longer rods were not sparing the rod on the final two strokes with their Double Spey Skagit casts. If I can wade and have room for my backstroke, I find myself with my 7141 and sometimes my TCR not sparing the rod on the Double Spey in the final two strokes particuliarly if I'm casting into the wind. The full floating Skagit line might be eliminate my perceived need to crank up the later part of the cast.

Thanks again Sean.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I think no matter what skagit line we talk about the taper is different than the outbound. the floater from the new catalog which is just comming out now apears to be a reverse of the outbound and closely resembles a shorter, heavier windcutter. see the above diagrams since i still can't get a pic up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.