Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because new years day is the day to get a handle on the hangovers and the shakes I decided to do some flies. I have looked in the forum back files and stumbled across Martys O.P.Y. Feather wing fly and decided to do a married version of this fly, mainly for the polar shrimpy colour scheme, that I think will attract baltic sea trout equally well as your steelheads ;-) I don't hope that I am slaughtering any holy cows by getting inspired by other members contributions? So without further ado here is the O.P.Y married wing fly ;-)

Tight lines
Søren

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Great rendition, this color combo should do great! As far as holy cows... Inspiration and learning is why we are all a part of this forum right? It's an honor to see something I tied inspire someone else, I think I speak for the majority in that.

·
Administrator
18,151 Posts
It's an honor to see something I tied inspire someone else, I think I speak for the majority in that.
You speak the truth Josh :)
Nothing more stokes my fire than to see or get a message stating that a fly I posted inspired another tier ... great feeling !!

I think your rendition of the OPY is great :)

Mike

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
you will notice quite often that one of us makes a fly then others make their variations when inspired. the green doctor, beauly snow fly, thunder and lightning, and a few other crazes have gone around. its cool to see a new take on a known pattern, and I'm sure Marty will appreciate any well tied fly inspired by his patterns.

You will fit in fine round these parts.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For me burned goose is the choice to take when the fly is big and the fibers need to stand out. I used schlappen for the throat on this one, and because I didn't have the right colour dubbing, the front body is made of purple wool yarn with an underhackle of fuchsia saddle hackle, as base for the rib and flowing yellow burned goose - see if you can spot it ;-). The one above was tied on a #3/0 AJ spey hook.

For smaller flies I choose schlappen if the fly should have a more robust appearance and where it is ok that the fibers marries at the tips, like in this Gold Speal tied on a #5 AJ spey hook.

But my absolute favorite hacklewise is grey heron. In my country heron is forbidden to hunt, but it is still allowed to buy old stuffed birds at flea markets, so I have a stuffed and more and more scruffy grey heron in my home, yes. Depending on where on the body you pick the hackle you get long soft and free flowing single fibers or long and more schlappen like feathers. Here both characteristics of the fibers can be appreciated on flies tied on #1,5 AJ spey hooks.

Long single fiber hackle on a Hot Peacock Spey:

Long schlappen-like hackle on a Lady Caroline:

And thank you all for a warm welcome ;-)
Søren

T

·
0 Posts
spey style

these fit right in on any River.
Looks just fine to me.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Great ties and welcome to the site!

I don't think there is a tier on here that has not been inspired by Marty! I think he would be proud!

-Bill

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Soren, not sure what to say. it warms my heart to think I my have had a part in the tying of this fly. Your additions really fit the style. A classic touch for sure. Your Spey flies are over the top and so true to form. Keep em coming, and welcome to the madness.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Great tying and wonderful commentary on using various types of hackles. I really enjoyed this post.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts