Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Nice flashy dressing. I can see Pacific Coho scrambling to get at this one!!!

Wondering about MI Style. I've studied the flies of only a few G L anglers and seeing a lot more flash compared to NW patterns intended for steelhead. Generally, could that be said about a MI style?

·
SHUT UP & FISH!
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Michigan doesn't really have a style of swing fly.
we increase the size of a trout fly or just mash things to the hook willy nilly.
I use large flashy movement flies to get that territorial bite.
The few bites i get are smash & grab style bites.
no need to set the hook.
I "designed" this off a flash fly you would see in Alaska for salmon but in a NWP color you might see in an intruder.
I put hackle, flash ,hackle to help the flash from tangling on the hook.

J

·
0 Posts
Check out some of Kevin F.'s new patterns. There are enormous hanks of flash on the hook with a little Ice Dubbing at the front. They work. So, yes, I think the MI style certainly uses more flash than almost anything you see in the PNW.

·
SHUT UP & FISH!
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we have a lot of plug pullers here.
they use the in your face technique with size movement color & flash.
basically that's how i swing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
We fish a lot of flashy flies here in Ohio too. Kevin Feenstra, as mentioned above, Greg Senyo,Jerry Darkes, are some of the more well known tiers around here. I tie and fish several of their patterns with success in Ohio and Pennsylvania. I also do well on simple marabou and flash concoctions, and Tom Larimer style reverse marabou flies, mostly with a good bit of flash in them. I think it's because our rivers don't get crystal clear, usually stained to some extent, that our patterns are flashier than most

·
SHUT UP & FISH!
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pmurf54 i just started the swing last year. if you look on my profile i have 2 picture albums.
1 is fish 1 is the flies that caught them.
a lot of my flies are like what you just described.
kinda alaskabous strung out w/ beads for butts.
i fish a very heavily pressured area so i tend to fish flies that are huge compared to the rest of the crowd.
im hoping 2015 will be my year on the swing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts