Sponsor
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Great info and techniques, Jaap.

It's difficult stuff to work with, but the results are very rewarding!

Mike

Reactions: SRFS

·
Registered
517 Posts
Nutria is well know and used for a lot of years in Finland .
They firs appreciated their unique properties: soft but springy hairs , durability and not absorbing water .
For unknown reason was not so popular in another countries but I see more and more tiers use it.
Simply like always the biggest problem is to try first time.
what important is hairs have to be cut as short ass possible (to keep original length) .
it is due fact that they are thinner close to skin . it is why they during swimming (nutria is water animal ) hairs are close to body even tips of them are relative stiff.
with nutria we can made not only hackle but tails and wings in hook flies.
as I remember Sazan shoved also smaller intruders/ stingers tied fully with nutria instead of Rhea or another similar material .

Mine copy of Jaap's fly

·
Registered
517 Posts
thank you Sazan . Exactly this type of flies I had on mind!
Have to remember to tie a few :)
With strong leader I think one per colour will be enough .
Nutria is very durable but also very mobile nice combination :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
I tested on animals (with nice result) two version of Bulkley FnS

with orange feelers and cone head

and with pink. second version I like little bit more

Also followed experiments and original pattern I cut tails. With Snow Runner it is easy and do not have negative influence on movement of material .

By the way I last time used Gamakatsu hooks ! They gone very fast after contact with bottom completely another story is with Partridge hooks. They are much more stronger and stay sharp for much longer time .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.