Spey Pages banner

Numbers don't matter, but...

3K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  MrFly 
#1 ·
Sometimes one has a truly special, even epic day when everything lines up just right, a day that will likely be seared into one's memory for a while.

Don't get me wrong. I get skunked often enough, and am old enough to have reached the point where I enjoy the whole process of fishing for steelhead on the swing. I love it all, the fly tying the night before, checking the gear, studying the flows and the weather, and planning (some may call it scheming). I even love the down-side, the blown out rivers, the cold fingers, broken rods, leaking waders, felt soles falling off, unexpected swims, battling the weed farmer who doesn't want me to fish near his property, etc, etc.

But sometimes it all comes together...and I feel that mighty tug and hear my reel sing.

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
View attachment 372759 Sometimes one has a truly special, even epic day when everything lines up just right, a day that will likely be seared into one's memory for a while.

Don't get me wrong. I get skunked often enough, and am old enough to have reached the point where I enjoy the whole process of fishing for steelhead on the swing. I love it all, the fly tying the night before, checking the gear, studying the flows and the weather, and planning (some may call it scheming). I even love the down-side, the blown out rivers, the cold fingers, broken rods, leaking waders, felt soles falling off, unexpected swims, battling the weed farmer who doesn't want me to fish near his property, etc, etc.

But sometimes it all comes together...and I feel that mighty tug and hear my reel sing.
View attachment 372752 View attachment 372755 View attachment 372756 View attachment 372757 View attachment 372758 View attachment 372754
Congrats.....You have journeyed through the initial trails and tribulations and have achieved a state of grace with your spey fishing.

#17 ·
Thanks for the kind sentiments. I am on the west coast in Northern California. When I get on the freeway, a stones throw from my home, I can see a prominent mountain in Oregon. I buy fishing liscences each year for California and Oregon and mainly fish a couple rivers in both states.

Glad you like the fly. It has served me very well for both summer and winter steelhead. The day I caught these fish it accounted for seven hooked steelies, with six coming to hand. I tried a darker fly that day that got no love and quickly switched back to the claret wing fly.

A funny thing happened that day too. I had just layed out a cast when a drift boat came into view on my right. The guy working the oars had two sports with him, hucking indicator rigs on single handers. He was on the far side of the river, opposite me (nice etiquette right?) and he shouted something unintelligable. I cupped my ear and shouted back, "what was that?" as my line was swinging into the sweet spot. He hollered back, "nice reel!" As soon as those words left his lips, I felt a mighty tug and my reel started screaming like a banshee, ZZZ...ZZZ...ZZZZZZZZ. A few hard headshakes and then a nice run ensued. We both grinned ear to ear and he floated off into the sunset.

Nate

#21 ·
Happiness is a well- chewed fly, Nate! Assuming that was on the river to your north that has finally seen some rain?

Just got back from three days on two of the rivers in your neighborhood. Great numbers on the bigger one, though considerably smaller fish than yours. It’s major tributary brought me back to the mean today by handing me a skunk.

Glad to hear the family is well. Looking forward to more of Miss Trillium’s posts as well. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

#22 ·
Happiness is a well- chewed fly, Nate! Assuming that was on the river to your north that has finally seen some rain?

Just got back from three days on two of the rivers in your neighborhood. Great numbers on the bigger one, though considerably smaller fish than yours. It’s major tributary brought me back to the mean today by handing me a skunk.

Glad to hear the family is well. Looking forward to more of Miss Trillium’s posts as well. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
All I can say is, think farther north.

As far as Miss Trillium, she has come down with a condition that cause outburts of emotional displays and irrational cognition, known as being a "preteen". She is currently too cool to hangout with her old man. Hopefully this will pass and not become a chronic condition. Don't want to push and all that other good stuff. Her younger sister is currently showing more interest in swinging flies.

Nate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.