Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dana, one of the major strenghts of the (soon to be) old ISC was the many breakdowns of topic titles. Major goodie of this is if you wanted to research (rather than be repetitive) was to look under the heading of Rods, Euro, etc., etc.

Looks like we'll only have 4 major headings vs. the 18'ish in ISC. Wrong impression?
Fred

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Say Dana - maybe we SHOULD have a 5th category - possibly called ... hmm let's see .... how about - fredevans?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Only modesty ....

prevents me from agreeing with you Tyler.:cool: But being the modest, unassuming, warm hearted, loveable guy that I am ............

All kidding aside; someone has to have the gumption to stand up in print and ask 'the silly question.' (Several of my questions were prompted from private e mails sent to me 'off board.') If I've got a question, you can safely assume you're not alone. That was the pure magic of ISC; 'newbies' could pose a question on any topic and the length and debth of the responses is what keep them coming back to the "the Group." That same "magic" is alive and well here on the FFF board.

When you consider the thousands of questions/responses posted on ISC, and at only two points where Dana had to intervene as webmeister, you're participating in a "on-line class act."

:smokin:

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Fred-
I have boards that many many many categories to be troublesome to navigate and tend to take away from the discussion.

Juro's board is the only that I have seen that has succeaded when using the many differnt forum layout which I believe is because the board centers around specific fisheries.

Plus now that the ISC is on FlyTalk it offers awesome search capabilites and the need for multiple forums to seperate all the topics isnt necassary.

My two $.02...

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Hi Fred!

We thought about having a bunch of different topic headings, but when I reviewed the activity over at the msn site it was apparent that most users put their topics up under "general" anyways, so we kept things a little simpler here. That said, if the general feeling is "more specificity", we can certainly look at that when we update the site.

Thoughts?

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Sean, myself, and all of the Forum team will do everything we can to make sure that this will be a great place for all ISC members. If there's something we can do to be more accomodating, run it by Dana and we'll see if we can make it happen.

I like to think of this website as a lodge. It's legend is only as good as the people who visit. We will do our best to make the lodge a great place to kick back, lean the rod on the porch, fill up the tin cup and visit a while. I see it as a great place to charge up with those who share your passion for the sport for the next walk down to the water. It's a place where stories and information enrich the angling experience in our lives; a place where we learn a heck of a lot and make acquaintances as well as lifetime friendships. And all this is only possible because of those who come here.

For me, the fun, friends, and knowledge received from this virtual lodge has exceeded the work put into it a hundred-fold. And we've only just begun...

A toast to the future!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ryan, et. al. sorry if my input struck a nerve, but

FFF (at present) has about 20 individual topic inputs, not counting the "Clave." Not suggesting (per se) that the Spey section have as many, but 4'ish is rather limiting. Make this point in light of most posts go off line in a matter of hours.

Dana, as well as Juro, have a heck of a following and I'd like to see, to the degree reasonable, both followed through.

Juro, your comments were wonderful (and I'll take a single malt in my tin cup :D ) but Dana's "legisey" (crappy spelling there) should be continued to a degree reasonable. "Kush's Comment" got to me where I did't want to go; I'm sure it was 'touge in cheek' but a lot of us will miss the other board. And I direct no umbridge (or disrespect) towards FFF; most of you know I've been a regular contibutor (scarry stuff there!!) for about as long as either board has been around. I will greatly miss ISC more than I probably should publicly admit (and I suspect this is a widely shared feeling). A grand group of men and women world wide, many of whom have become close personal friends; more very close associates in a shared experience.

Our World may be getting 'smaller' in many ways, but for most it's disconnected from shared human experience(s). The 'sharing' will be Dana's mark on all of us.
fe

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Re: Ryan, et. al. sorry if my input struck a nerve, but

fredaevans said:
Dana, as well as Juro, have a heck of a following and I'd like to see, to the degree reasonable, both followed through.
I'm Ryan Petzold...and I am a Juro Groupie

Fred-
If you ever need to talk to someone about this serious loss, you've got my email adress. ;)

In all honesty though, I think the Spey Clave is perfect!! I've said it before and I'll say it again-too many differnt seperate boards breaks apart a forum. Whenever I signed onto the ISC, the first thing that I did was select General.

I did use the various other boards when I wanted to look up a certain rod or line or something like that...but that could be just easily done by using the search feature. BTW-This board's search capabilities and how it displays the results is the best out of any board.

...but what do I know!? Juro and Dana have produced two incredibly awesome boards because they know what they are doing and I think we can all put our trust in them to make to what is best for the Board. :) :) :)

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
When the Spey Clave section first started up I also thought 4 sections seemed limited although over at the ISC board I was always dialed in under all topics. While I think Fred's point has some validity I now feel that the four sections will cover things nicely. I also agree with Ryan that this board has an awesome search feature that works really fast. I use it all the time to look up info on different rods, lines, or whatever. If a newbie has a specific question on a tackle item or method or whatever it is very easy to come up with every thing that has ever been said on this board in a matter of seconds. I think I can relate with Fred at feeling something of a loss at ISC being gone but I am damned happy to be a way from MSN.CA. Now instead of clicking back and forth all day between my two favorite boards they're all rolled into one.

·
Registered
215 Posts
As a very recent member at ISC, I don't have the 'history' that many of you had there. Many of you use it almost as a chat board, and I certainly don't have a problem with that. However, from my point of view, these boards are a very valuable source of information, and one of the big advantages of the old board was the ease with which one could research previously posted views on equipment.

If I want to canvass general views on a rod manufacturer, it used to be easy just to go to that section. Entering 'Sage' into the Tackle section will now bring up a lot of posts about, for example, reels and lines which best suit Sages, as well as the stuff about rods.

For those like me, some subdivision of the board would be useful, although perhaps not as many sections are needed as were on ISC. A separate section for rods (easily the most talked about item of tackle) would certainly make information-gathering much easier.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The Past is Gone . . .

Can't remember what group sang that song . . . memory must be going! :D

Anyway, to my point/idea. Part of the benefit of the new board (as many have already mentioned) is the search features that let you locate topics of interest. For example, I wanted to search for past posts on the 9150 and found 2 where it was mentioned.

The downside to this is that, unlike Dana's MSN categories, there is no standardization on what the post is really about. 9150 might be mentioned in passing as one of the "new" rods Sage has introduced without the post really being "about" the 9150.

One way to bridge this gap is to post a list of Search Topics (Index Terms) so that, when you post a message you can choose what terms define what your message is about. This aids in restoring the one benefit lost from Dana's categories - the ability to browse all the posts about a certain specific subject at one time.

It also preserves one of the big benefits to the new format - the ability to go to a ~few~ specific boards for all the posts.

Just a thought. As for my own impressions, I found the many categories to be useful, but I really like the new simpler format with the search feature.

hasta,

DS

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"DS" tend to agree with you on the 'search feature.'

As I'm not a 'lets push all the buttons and see what happens' kind of guy, I'd never tried the search function until it was brought up in a thread above. Tip of hat; it works rather well.

"Old Dog, New Tricks."
fe

·
Registered
427 Posts
I believe we have multiple benefits to this format. The while the ISC site had functionality limitations the content was outstanding. Generally most people prefer to maintain the status quo, I find this a positive change. ISC had the content; the issue was functionality, which equates to time available to "search" for a subject or item(s) buried in a thread(s). Imagine being new to the ISC board wanting to search for info and reading all the personal communication mixed with "spey" related content, and most topics posted under the general heading. This site (not hosted by MSN) has much lower latency (sorry JJ, Brian, I know this makes you smile) apparently greater robustness in the servers as we have not experienced as much down time. I have been members of both sites from close to inception and believe that Juro and Dana have made a decsion that will ultimately benefit all of us. Many of us come to these sites to have our interest piqued, spawn questions in our minds, ask "silly" questions, and communicate with those who have more or less knowledge or skill in various disaplines of "spey casting and fishing". All for the self-indulgent purpose of some type of personal gratification, which is a major component of life.

Enough already

Fred, I think you will find having the increase functionally this site allows will more than meet your needs. BTW, how much weight (muscle) have you gained throwing that 18'er? Have not heard for awhile

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Howdy Fred

Fred;
I'm glad you tried the search as it really does work great. The first time I tried it I was amazed. It seems to work better than the search features on some other boards. I have spent hours as I sure you have searching thru the old post on the ISC board trying to find something that I saw in the past and my diesel soaked brain couldn't remember exactly where.
On another note, how is life with the "BIG ROD"?

·
Flats Rat
24 Posts
I think the addition of the Spey Clave is a great addition to FFF.

My only request would be to add a navigation button back to the main flytalk board. Once in the Spey Clave , the only way back up seems to be "Back" multiple times or exit & re-enter.:smokin:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"The Big Rod."

Much time with rod requires 'weight training" at a gym. :>)

Feel I could crush walnuts in my right hand after a few hours of fishing. Have rod on temp. hold as the fish arn't moving up stream in the Rogue as of yet. Rod/reel clock in at just over two pounds so this is not an 'all day' piece of equipment.

Once the fish start showing up in some reasonable numbers above Gold Ray Dam 'Baby' and I will become firmly reaquainted. Official upper Rogue count as of 1-29-02 was only 219 fish through the counter; doubt this has changed significantly in the past few days. Water/weather conditions couldn't be better; text book stuff over the entire top 60 miles of river.

Footnote:
Couple of weekends ago Nate and I traded big rods for "something different" and the 'twit' is the one who hooked the first fish on my rod.:tsk_tsk:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
"The BIG ROD"

Fred,
Thanks for the report on the "The BIG ROD". In place of weight training at the gym why not use the method advocated by Charles Ritz, ie. full wine bottles. Since you are building up your muscles for spey casting some BIG bottles of single malt might be more appropiate.
:devil:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Fred,

Try the search capability on the top of the menu if you are looking a particular subject, like "tube flies", "spey" etc..

It works fairly good, even brings up the most recent posts first which have the words you searched for.

Looks like Upper Rogue fishing will be slow until March per a recent on-line report I saw, is that true ?

Have a good one !!

Hal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Adrian said:
I think the addition of the Spey Clave is a great addition to FFF.

My only request would be to add a navigation button back to the main flytalk board. Once in the Spey Clave , the only way back up seems to be "Back" multiple times or exit & re-enter.:smokin:
Hi Adrian Punch on the line above internationalSpey Archives A Worldwide flyfishing Forum Site that will return to the full board.

-----saltron

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"JMC," kike your wine bottle idea; have

about 400 laid back. Wish half were single malts, but not Joan's bag. :devil:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts