Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Been having a hard time matching an NRX 13ft 8/9 with Skagit heads. The rod is rated at 500grns; I have tried 520 and 480 Skagit heads (SA and Airflo) with 10ft T10 and 12, but the rod feels overloaded. Does anybody have experience with this rod and recommend specific heads and tip combinations?
Much appreciate the help.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Zub,

Not familiar with that rod but have tried many different skagit heads. I would look for something a foot or two longer and give that a try. I also use Beulah tonics quite a bit. The don't give quite as heavy a load feel as a compact. With the right setup tonics can have a very crisp, almost scandi, feel and still move a fair load. Flights, to me have an even lighter feel yet. Hope it's of some use

CT

·
Registered
155 Posts
Might be too light??

480 sounds really light for an 8/9. You said it felt heavy though. Rio recommends 550 at their high end. I would start going higher and see how it feels.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've found that rod has a very large grain window with a lot of reserve power.
I've used as light as a 480Rage to a 540 Int Skagit. They all worked, it just required adjusting the casting stroke.
On the 480 Rage I could really pull hard with the bottom hand and line just flew out with small flies and light tips.
With the Skagits and heavy flies and tips it needs a slower stroke.

Pete

·
Registered
290 Posts
Loomis NRX 13' 8/9

Hej Zub

I’ve had the Loomis NRX 13’ since it came out and I’ve found it to be almost as good as my Hardy Angel 2 13’, which for me is the ultimate 13’ rod. The NRX 13 will cast full lines like the Hardy Mach and the Carron Jet stream 55’ with great elegance. For Skagit I prefer the RIO Skagit Flight from 450 up to around 525 grain with 15’ Guideline density compensated polyleaders.

The RIO Flight 525 cast itself and is my choice for all round Skagit technique on the NRX. I never use pure T leaders or MOW tips since they have a tendency to turn over too fast negating any decent length, presentation and precision of the cast.

But what really rocks on the 13’ NRX and will cast Underhand just as good as any Scandinavian designed Shooting head and will work with the Skagit technique just as well, is the RIO 8/9 425 grain Scandi body Shooting Head with the 15’ Guideline Density Compensated polyleaders.

I fished the Northern BC last fall for more than a month, I brought more than 10 different lines for the NRX and the RIO was the line I found most versatile and the one I used most of the time, only switching for my Guideline 3D heads (28 - 32 gram and 9 – 11,5 meter) when length, precision and full control of depth was the name of the game.

Johncke ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts