Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Wat too big and heavy for me 11 weight, 15 footer. Must be like casting a pool cue.

PM Out

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
The Hexagraphs were some of the "first" speyrods to show up here in BC in any numbers about 15-20 yrs ago. I guess they were an attempt to mirror bamboo - hence the shape. I have cast more than a few and I have yet to meet one I like!

They are heavy, soft, wobbly and the resulting casts are kind of similar :eyecrazy:!

Unless you are just wanting to collect one as a curio, I would stay far, far away :tsk_tsk:

·
Registered
886 Posts
I had one

and sold it. I considered myself lucky to get £150 $240 for it. The only B&W I have not liked. It looks super and as an something to hang on the wall grand but not for fishing to slow for me.

Malcolm

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hexagraphs

Have to agree; I've tried a few hexagraphs over the years, and they varied from 'OK' to 'Horrid'. Never found one I really got on with. They were endorsed by Arthur Oglesby as well as Hugh Falkus, and probably sold a fair few on the back of that.

B&W did make some in a 'mock cane' finish, although the hexagonal construction was more than just cosmetic - as I recall it was meant to improve the sectional rigidity of the rods. The theory was that, whereas a round rod can flatten during a cast, and thus lose power, the hexagonal construction would always remain rigid. I think Bruce & Walker were still making them until maybe 5 years ago, and they are still around in some shops over here. It was, in my view, a low point in the history of the company; their early tubular carbon rods were probably as good as anyone's 20-25 years ago (though the finish wasn't great), and their glass rods before that were OK I think. They seem to be back on form now, but the hexagraphs were not, in my view, a good move.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like the Hexagraphs

I have three Hex spey rods and like 'em all, particularly the 15' Falkus Speycaster No. 1. I should add I use conventional DT lines on all my Hexes--could it be they were never intended for the cut and splice set ups that are now so popular?

·
just one more cast...
163 Posts
Geesh youse guys are Brutal!

Thanks, Whitehackle, glad to hear from another who appreciates these sticks. As the owner of this rod, I was surprised to read all the thumbs-downs on these Hex's. I can truly cast a long line much more easily with this rod than any rod I've cast (I'm no expert!), including Sage 1510-4, 1409-3 and 4, and my Winston 15' LT 10wt. It's definitely slooow and on the heavy side, but I find it very smooth and powerful, and a pleasure to cast, like Whitehackle, using salmon DT lines with and without tips. But judging from the 'Groundswell' of interest on eBay, I guess you guys hold the prevailing view!! <g>

cheers to all, I really do enjoy all the discussion,
John

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Low Popularity, Low Prices

The up side to the bad Hex rep is that used rods aren't expensive. The last Hex I bought cost $142.00 American and that included shipping from the UK. Then again, I'm a bottom feeder when it comes to used tackle.

As a matter of interest, I would add that the spey Hexes apparently came in a wide range of lengths and actions. Among the ones I've cast, I like the Hugh Falkus models and those with the "Walker" action. However, I can't do a thing with the "Bruce" actions. Way too soft for me, although I've cast one only. Maybe the "Bruce" actions are responsible for the lousy reputation.

Final note: I also have a B & W Hex single handed rod, a model called "American." It's just awful. Stiff as a broomstick.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Good to hear!

Macspey & Whitehackle,

It is good to hear that you like 'em - it is very easy to form a quick opinion on a rod and write them off. I know I will never like one - but different strokes ( literally and figuratively) for different folks. :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kush, You're Right

I think Falkus himself said he'd no more attempt to pick out a rod for a man than assign him a wife. To each his own and good luck!

·
Registered
886 Posts
I think you are right

Whitehackle,
The rod I owned was the 16'6" Bruce so your theory could well be right.

Malcolm

·
Registered
215 Posts
16'6" Bruce

This was the exact rod that I rated as 'horrid', Malcolm. A fisherman showed up with it in Norway, having been sold it while he was on the Spey (it was brand new, so I don't think he'd bought your rod!).

It should in theory have been a useful size of rod, but neither I nor anyone else who tried could make much of it. It didn't seem to throw a sunk line any easier or further than a conventional 15' rod, and felt unwieldy. I don't think they ever made a 16'6" with the stiffer 'Walker' action, which might have been better.

The hexagraphs sold under Falkus's name were a later addition to the range; I never tried one of these.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another interesting additions has popped up on e bay.

For a piddling $1,800 you can buy this fellows Cane Spey rod. As with the Hex. rod; zero bids.
fae

·
Registered
459 Posts
Source White Hackle

"Low Popularity, Low Prices

The up side to the bad Hex rep is that used rods aren't expensive. The last Hex I bought cost $142.00 American and that included shipping from the UK. Then again, I'm a bottom feeder when it comes to used tackle. "

NOW I MAY BE INTERESTED AT THOSE PRICES

Now we are talking a reasonable spey economics model.

PM Out

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think your right. Not much use for a broon stick like those here.
I'd be in the far banks brush and trees every cast. Perhaps a GL lake surf rod is what I was thinking about where I could boom out some long ones with heavy sinking heads.

PM Out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts